Is It Ok to Inject a Double Amount of Filler into the Lips at a Time?

I have had my lips enlarged twice within 1 month, because only after the second injection I was happy with the fullness/size of my lips. (1 ml Restylane was injected into both lower and upper lip per visit). I am wondering if it's possible to have those 2 portions combined next time I have my filler done. Are there any risks related to the increased doze (uneven lips or smth similar)?

Amount of filler required for the lips

+1

The correct amount of filler to be used in the lips is the amount that produces the desired effects.  For some people this may be more than for others.  If on the first treatment you aren't satisfied, it is appropriate to put more filler in to achieve the desired result.  Additionally, if you find the correct amount after more than one treatment, as long as the treatments are relatively close such that there wasn't significant interval absorption of filler between treatments, it would be appropriate to expect that upon retreatment one would use the total volume needed to achieve the desired results for subsequent treatments.  There is always a chance for irregularity or asymmetry with each treatment, and perhaps with greater volumes of fillers there may be more of a chance irregularities could be magnified just by the sheer increase in volume.  Hyaluronidase can always be used to help even out these irregularities if needed. 

Is it ok to inject a double amount of filler into the lips at a time?

+1

It is perfectly ok to note the amount of filler you had that gave you the desired result and duplicate it in one office visit for a future treatment. Lip augmentations are frequently performed conservatively, and it is not out of the ordinary to have a touch up. There are no additional risks related to the increased dose that are any different than the original treatment, provided the treatment follows a recommended dosage. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane to lips

+1

If you are achieving the desired outcome with 2mL's of Restylane each time, there is no reason why you couldn't do it again. It's unclear how long a dermal filler really lasts in the lip and peri-oral region but often, it doesn't last quite as long in this area.

Sam Naficy, MD

Filler injections

+1

It is quite common to require more filler after the swelling has subsided. It is certainly possible the next time around that you will need the same amount that you recently had injected.

Can I get more filler next time?

+1

We usually recommend patients are conservative with fillers the first time. So it's not necessarily a surprise that you ended up adding more. One thing to consider thou is that yes, you can do 2ml at your next visit and inject it all at once, but it's also been proven that stacking fillers, adding them at separate times like you did this time, can make them last longer. 

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

+1

Injecting 2 of the Restylane syringes into the lips can be performed at the same time if you were happy with a one and one previously.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lip Augmentation and Enhancement Volume

+1

The amount of volume each person needs, and wants, is different. It is not unusual to use 2 cc's for lips. If the result is what you want, then consider returning for a touch-up before all the volume is lost. This way you keep the look you desire, and will still have some Restylane left in the lip to build on. It is likely that you will only need 1 cc at a time for maintenance. If wait and need two, it is fine to do 2 cc's. Most experienced injectors will do 1 cc the first time if you have never had lip enhancement before. This is to prevent over correction. You can always have more added, but removing too much volume is a harder problem.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Amount of Restylane injected into lips

+1

Different people need different amounts of Restylane, or any other filler.  If 2 cc seemed to be the correct amount for your lips, it would be fine to have that injected at the same treatment session.  The amount used should not cause a higher chance of unevenness although it is possible that you may notice a bit more temporary swelling.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon