Who Should Inject Botox for TMJ?

Should I seek a dentist or dermatologist or plastic surgeon?

I am sorry, it does not make sense for a non dentist to inject for TMJ.

+3

Only a specialized dentist is able assess the bite and understand the factors that are causing the TMJ issues.  It makes absolutely no sense to let a family practitioner, dermatologist, or plastic surgeon inject the muscles of mastication for the purpose of treating a TMJ issue.  To treat the TMJ properly, you need to be assessed.  This means seeing someone who is trained to assess the bite.  This will be a specialized dentist including certain maxillofacial surgeons.  BOTOX may not even be the right treatment.  Perhaps what you need is a night guard or some other form of treatment.  Ask youself if the doctor you are seeing has the training to understand my issue?  If not, don't work with that person.  Make the effort to see someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

You want to be treated by a doctor experience in both Botox and TMJ

+2

You want to be treated by a doctor experience in both Botox and TMJ.  TMJ problems can be difficult.  You want to be treated by a specialist who is a expert both in TMJ issues and also extremely experienced in the use of Botox or Dysport.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

An expert in TMJ treatment with botox is the best specialist for that area.

+1

It might be a plastic surgeon, oral maxillofacial surgeon, ENT or even dermatologist to be the best expert in TMJ. Your area may have a different specialist.

Botox for TMJ

+1

Having been the first to publish on the use of Botox into the masseter for TMJ the problem is the injection if too large can cause a resultant dent in back of your cheek because too large a dose was utilized. Also Botox is preferable to Dyport in that it will remain localized to the area once injected, see link on August 7 at 4:41pm.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for TMJ by OMF surgeon

+1

My recommendation would be to have have an Oral MaxilloFacial surgeon evaluate you and perform the Botox injections for TMJ.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox For TMJ

+1

While many inject Botox, it would be wise to go to someone who is a specialist for your needs.  I would recommend someone who has experience with the facial anatomy to get you the results you desire.  

Who should inject Botox for TMJ

+1

That depends on who has the most experience, Typically, ENT, Dermatologists or Plastic Surgeons are very comfortable with injecting Botox into the muscles involved (the masseters).

Over the years, I have developed a good relationship with many of the dentists in my area and they refer patients to me for TMJ injections. Some of these are simply not injecting enough Botox to keep the product in inventory.

Since I inject Botox all day, I am comfortable injecting this location.

Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Find a Plastic Surgeon or OMF surgeon

+1

A plastic surgeon or OMF surgeon will have the experioence and anatomy knowledge to use Botox for TMJ issues.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

You should see a physician or dentist who is interested and experienced

+1

You should see a physician or dentist who is interested and experienced in the use of BOTOX® for the management of TMJ pain and/or bruxism.

For example, I am a dermatologist and because of my interests and large BOTOX® practice I regularly treat TMJ pain, bruxism and masseteric hypertrophy with BOTOX®. Not all dermatologists, plastic surgeons, ENTs, neurologists or dentists do this [or any other particular type of work]. So basically you have to ask whether they do this kind of work, and how many cases a month they take care of, or if they can suggest someone who can take good care of you.

Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.