Infrequent Tingling Sensation After Chin Implants

Hi, Is it normal to have tingling sensation in chin after 3 years of silicone chin implants ? I get them occasionaly. There is no pain or numbness and I can feel my lips completely. How can this be diagonosed to make sure its not anything to do with implants ? Thanks

Tingling in the chin after chin implant

+3

That tingling you are feeling is, undoubtedly, from the implant and the surgery.  It is nothing to worry about and very common.  You have no functional problems and I would put your mind at ease.

Tal Raine MD FACS

Nerve compression possible

+3

It is possible you are having the implant pushing on the nerves from below.  If it was placed through he mouth, it can sometimes "ride up" a little easier and push on the nerves.  It is certainly possible even if it was placed through an incision beneath your chin as well.  If it is tingling only on one side or the other, that increases the likelihood of it compressing the nerve.  It is unlikely there is a problem with the implant itself (leaking as in breast implants, etc.), just its position.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin tingling after chin implant

+2

It isn't typical to have tingling like you describe this far out from surgery. It may be related to the implant intermittently pressing up against the nerves that provide sensation to the area. They are located just above where the implant typically rests.

An xray should be able to whether the implant appears to be too high up by the nerves. If this is the case the implant could be repositioned.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Tingling after Chin Implant

+2

The tingling is probably secondary to implant pressure on the nerves that provide sensation to your chin. It is not normal, but do not worry about it unless the tingling irritates you. The only treatment would be removing or repositioning the implant.

Nerve Tingling after chin implant.

+2

There are two nerves than exit the mandible on each side called the Mental Nerves.  They provide sensation to the chin and lower lip.  A chin implant is normally placed below these as to preserve the sensation to the lip and not irritate the nerve.  Your implant may have moved into a position that is now irritating these nerves and causing the tingling sensation.  An xray would be a good first step to check the implant position.  If it is touching one of these nerves, it can be removed and replaced in a better position.  Hope  this helps. 

Best regards

Dr D.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tingling sensation after chin implant

+2

The implant could be in a position that is irritating a nerve. An X-ray coukd be taken to show th eactual position of the implant. If it is a problem the implant can be replaced.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tingling after chin implant

+2

Since you have otherwise normal sensation and function this is probably nothing but some pressure.  You could be leaning on your chin and not even realize it.  If it is becoming more frequent you could always go back to see your plastic surgeon.  

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon