Very Little Inframammary Fold After Bilateral Mastectomy and Reconstruction?

I am 69 yrs old and it's now been nearly a year since my reconstruction using silicone implants was done. I still have very little natural breast shape, infra mammary fold and also little to no cleavage. Will this change in time or should I consider further surgery?

Absence of Inframammary Fold

+1

I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  There may be some options to help improve your reconstructed breast shape and restore your inframammary crease.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Breast reconstruction can be improved with revision.

+1

Hi.

Time will not help.  You may need different implant pocket dissection, Alloderm, or fat injections.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast reconstruction question

+1

Thank you for your question.  Breast reconstruction after a mastectomy is a very complicated procedure that is different in each patient. There are many variables involved in determining your outcome. These include the thickness of your skin, the original shape of your breast, skin/nipple removal at  the time of your mastectomy, and the method of reconstruction to name a few.  It is very difficult to give you a clear answer about your particular situation without an examination.

In general, lack of infra-mammary fold definition has been a problem with breast reconstruction. Acellular dermal matrices (alloderm for example) used in reconstruction have greatly helped this problem and have made this less of an issue in my patients.  It also may be possible that your pocket has shifted which could require a fold repair and possibly a new implant for better shape.

I hope that helps and best of luck

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reconstruction

+1

Losing the inframammary line after breast reconstruction can be of many causes. If by now you have no good defnition then it will not change with time. The cleavage will not come back either.

The loss of cleavage couldbe due to the position of the implants and lack of fat and breast tissue due to the mastectomy. This can be corrected with fat graft to recreate the cleavage line.