Information on Gore-Tex Facial Implants (Cheek/tear Trough)

I have read all about Silicone and Porex/Medpor facial implants but had some question on Gore-Tex cheek or tear trough implants) How easy are they to remove if need be later in life? Is it like porex where it is very difficult to virtually impossible. I am looking to get tear trough implants and researching various material. Thank you

Some facial implants are difficult to remove

+2

There are many types of implants and injectables available for implantation into the face. The ones that I think are least safe are the ones that are permanent and are porous. These allow tissue ingrowth to help incorporate the product into the tissues. However, this also makes it very hard to remove completely if there are any problems. I've seen some serious complications from such implants several years after they've been implanted, and my personal preference is not to use them. There are safer alternatives such as fat injections, silicone implants and temporary dermal fillers which I think are much better. Safety should be your first priority.

Glasgow Plastic Surgeon

Gore-Tex Implant for Tear Trough Deformity

+1

I would not place porous implants under thin skin like we have in the tear trough area. I prefer to use fat or the fillers to augment this depression. If I used an implant my choice would be the Flowers silicone implant. If  cheek ptosis is present, the trough can be augmented as part of a cheek lift procedure.

Tear trough implants are not a good idea.

+1

Hi.

Tear trough hollows can be accurately filled in with Restylane or Juvederm Ultra, injected in small amounts deeply under the muscle.  It lasts about three years.  For a more permanent result, fat injections are good.  There are too many problems with implants in this location, and most plastic surgeons do not use them.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)