Influenza Vaccination After a Breast Augmentation?

I'm 3 months post-op, worried about having an influenza vaccination in case my body's immune response leads to capsular contracture.Is it ok to go ahead?

It is fine to have a flu shot (vaccination) at any time before or after a breast augmentation

+3

Getting a flu shot (vaccination) is now recommended for most members of the population.  I recommend that most of my patients receive one if they have been cleared by their Primary Care Physician (Family Doctor).

Having a breast augmentation will not interfere with getting a flu shot, nor will one affect the other.

Your concern about capsular contracture and a possible association between the flu shot an contracture is unfounded.  Do not worry about any relation between the two!

Capsular contracture is usually caused by a bacterial infection (not anything viral, like the flu), a hematoma, or other post-surgical complication.

So feel free to get your immunization, and have a breast augmentation without being preoccupied about this!

Karen M. Horton, M.D., M.Sc., F.R.C.S.C.

Yes, there is no evidence that having an influenza vaccination after has an effect on your risk of developing capsular contractu

+1

Yes, there is no evidence that having an influenza vaccination after has an effect on your risk of developing capsular contracture.

I think there's no reason why you should'nt head with the injection because you had tummy tucks.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Flu shot and breast augmentation

+1

I do not believe that there is any contraindication to getting a flu vaccine after breat augmentation. Three months out or sooner.

No Contraindication to Flu Shot after Augmentation

+1

There is no reason to delay receiving a flu shot any time after an augmentaion.  The benefits of the vaccine greatly outweigh most risks.  The main reasons to avoid are a fever or previous reaction to sera.

John Whitt, MD

Risk of Influenza Vaccination After a Breast Augmentation?

+1

Regarding: "Influenza Vaccination After a Breast Augmentation?
I'm 3 months post-op, worried about having an influenza vaccination in case my body's immune response leads to capsular contracture.Is it ok to go ahead
?"

I fully agree with my colleagues. The operative word in what we do is REASONABLE. Whenever we do anything in Medicine we have to weigh the reasonable risks to the patient of doing VS. of withholding a procedure, test or medication. The benefits always must outweigh the risks.

When it comes to capsular contractures of breast implants, we KNOW that such scarring around the implants has been associated (there is no obvious documented causal relationship) with excess blood, foreign bodies and bacteria in the implant pocket. We have seen it as well in women who had urinary tract infection or dental work. But I am NOT aware of it associated Influenza.

Since Influenza is potentially deadly and since it CAN be avoided with a vaccine which has NOT been proven to be associated with Capsular Contracture, I would recommend you seriously consider dealing with preventing a known potentially deadly risk than protecting against an unknown, never proven risk. I would recommend the vaccine (unless you have a condition in which it is not indicated).

Dr. Peter Aldea

Flu vaccine okay after breast augmentation

+1

I think protection against influenza is important, as the flu is a known risk. I don't know of any connection between the influenza vaccine and capsular contracture.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Vaccination and Capsular contracture

+1

It is unlikely that a vaccination will lead to capsular contracture unless it produces a significant bacteremia that could result in implant seeding and biofilm formation.