Infection? Irritation from Tape? I'm Freaking Myself out. (photo)

Hello and thank you for taking time to look at this. I am 7 days out of surgery. My 1st few days were hell and I've had my bout with depression and anxiety over it My question is: I have red splotchy spots areas below both breasts (above incision) and a little on the upper parts of both breasts. I called my PS immediately and went in...she said she did feel a reason to concern and she thought it was ok, she wants me back in next week to check again...is something wrong...I'm so scared...

Implants and infection?

+2

Settle down.

You have heard that recovery is stressful, well, this is it.  The doctor examined you, asked about a fever, perhaps took a temp, etc. 

Your doctor is doing things the right way.  Your pics look like you are healing normally.  You appear to have sensitive skin with more of a rash than anything else.

Infection will present with increased pain, fever, swelling, reduced range of motion of the arm, perhaps drainage, wound opening.

Keep an eye out for these things, and try to keep a lid on the anxiety.  It should get a bit better every day.

sek

Skin irritation following breast augmentation

+2

I understand why this would cause you great concern and anxiety.  It was wise of you to see your plastic surgeon and bring it to her attention.  Your photographs do not show any signs of infection; it does appear that it is some irritation to the area either from tape, adhesives, postoperative garments, etc.  It does not appear to be an allergic reaction to medications or such.  

I would continue to follow-up with your surgeon for evaluation.  Certainly, if it progresses or worsens, an examination sooner would be warranted.

Web reference: http://www.albertandresmd.com

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Skin irritation after breast augmentation will clear.

+2

Hi.

As long as your plastic surgeon has seen you, I think you will be alright.  Don't think you have an infection.

Red “Splotchy” Areas after Breast Augmentation?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the stress you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery. Of course, your plastic surgeon is your best resource when it comes to meaningful advice and/or reassurance.

Based on the pattern of the bilateral “red splotchy areas” and your photographs, I also do not think that there is much to be concerned about. In my opinion, you are most likely dealing with a hypersensitivity or allergic reaction;  these types of reactions are usually self limited and do not cause any problems ( besides anxiety…).

Again, continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon;  sooner than scheduled if your physical examination changes or simply to provide you with peace of mind.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Postoperative redness 1 week after a breast augmentation.

+1

It is always concerning when we see redness in the breast after placement of an implant. Sometimes this is normal - a reaction to the surgery. Other times it may indicate infection, a rash, bra irritation, or an underlying hematoma. Unfortunately, on an internet forum such as this, no one can accurately diagnose an infection. You did the correct thing by returning to your surgeon for evaluation. You had confidence in your surgeon to have the procedure, now have confidence in your surgeon for the postoperative care.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Redness after breast augmentation

+1

Its always wise to discuss your concerns with your surgeon early rather than late, in case there is a significant issue. In this case, it appears that most likely, you have some skin irritation or possibly an allergy. This can occur from tape or a antibiotic cream. I dont think its anything you should be overly concerned about as long as your surgeon continues to monitor you. Best of luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Red dots post aug

+1

I think you will do fine.this may be soem irritation from the tape.As long as you have no fever sleep tight.

Web reference: http://beautybybrueck.com

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

1 Week After Breast Augmentation and Concerns of Infection

+1

Without spreading areas of redness, warmth, fever, chills, malaise, etc. the chances of having a serious infection are very small.  The plastic surgeon's exam is of paramount importance, and there was no intervention given.  Continue to follow with your plastic surgeon.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Infection? Irritation from Tape? I'm Freaking Myself out.

+1

A few issues. You are ONLY 1 week out. Next see your surgeon for these early post operative issues, always best to follow ONLY your chosen surgeon's advise NOT over the internet advise. The issues are very self limiting but need attention. 

Irritation From Tape

+1

It is normal to be a little freaked out after surgery.  Things don't look the way they will in a few weeks and months.  It's good you reached out to your PS.  It looks like a little skin irritation.  However, if it worsens you should be seen again. No worries.  Good Luck!

Reading Plastic Surgeon