Infection? Irritation from Tape? I'm Freaking Myself out. (photo)

Hello and thank you for taking time to look at this. I am 7 days out of surgery. My 1st few days were hell and I've had my bout with depression and anxiety over it My question is: I have red splotchy spots areas below both breasts (above incision) and a little on the upper parts of both breasts. I called my PS immediately and went in...she said she did feel a reason to concern and she thought it was ok, she wants me back in next week to check something wrong...I'm so scared...

Just keep an eye on it and see your surgeon as scheduled

It looks like you may have some irritation but if your surgeon checked you outa nd said that you didn't have an infection then you probably don't. Keep an eye on your symptoms and return to your surgeon next week as scheduled. Best of luck.

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Implants and infection?

Settle down.

You have heard that recovery is stressful, well, this is it.  The doctor examined you, asked about a fever, perhaps took a temp, etc. 

Your doctor is doing things the right way.  Your pics look like you are healing normally.  You appear to have sensitive skin with more of a rash than anything else.

Infection will present with increased pain, fever, swelling, reduced range of motion of the arm, perhaps drainage, wound opening.

Keep an eye out for these things, and try to keep a lid on the anxiety.  It should get a bit better every day.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

2813 W Southlake Blvd
Southlake, TX 76092

Skin irritation following breast augmentation

I understand why this would cause you great concern and anxiety.  It was wise of you to see your plastic surgeon and bring it to her attention.  Your photographs do not show any signs of infection; it does appear that it is some irritation to the area either from tape, adhesives, postoperative garments, etc.  It does not appear to be an allergic reaction to medications or such.  

I would continue to follow-up with your surgeon for evaluation.  Certainly, if it progresses or worsens, an examination sooner would be warranted.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

8900 E. Raintree Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Skin irritation after breast augmentation will clear.

As long as your plastic surgeon has seen you, I think you will be alright.  Don't think you have an infection.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Red “Splotchy” Areas after Breast Augmentation?

I'm sorry to hear about the stress you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery. Of course, your plastic surgeon is your best resource when it comes to meaningful advice and/or reassurance.

Based on the pattern of the bilateral “red splotchy areas” and your photographs, I also do not think that there is much to be concerned about. In my opinion, you are most likely dealing with a hypersensitivity or allergic reaction;  these types of reactions are usually self limited and do not cause any problems ( besides anxiety…).

Again, continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon;  sooner than scheduled if your physical examination changes or simply to provide you with peace of mind.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Postoperative redness 1 week after a breast augmentation.

It is always concerning when we see redness in the breast after placement of an implant. Sometimes this is normal - a reaction to the surgery. Other times it may indicate infection, a rash, bra irritation, or an underlying hematoma. Unfortunately, on an internet forum such as this, no one can accurately diagnose an infection. You did the correct thing by returning to your surgeon for evaluation. You had confidence in your surgeon to have the procedure, now have confidence in your surgeon for the postoperative care.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

660 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431

Redness after breast augmentation

Its always wise to discuss your concerns with your surgeon early rather than late, in case there is a significant issue. In this case, it appears that most likely, you have some skin irritation or possibly an allergy. This can occur from tape or a antibiotic cream. I dont think its anything you should be overly concerned about as long as your surgeon continues to monitor you. Best of luck.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

1404 E. Broward Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

Red dots post aug

I think you will do fine.this may be soem irritation from the tape.As long as you have no fever sleep tight.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

3700 Central Avenue
Fort Myers, FL 33901

1 Week After Breast Augmentation and Concerns of Infection

Without spreading areas of redness, warmth, fever, chills, malaise, etc. the chances of having a serious infection are very small.  The plastic surgeon's exam is of paramount importance, and there was no intervention given.  Continue to follow with your plastic surgeon.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Infection? Irritation from Tape? I'm Freaking Myself out.

A few issues. You are ONLY 1 week out. Next see your surgeon for these early post operative issues, always best to follow ONLY your chosen surgeon's advise NOT over the internet advise. The issues are very self limiting but need attention. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143