Can You Get an Infection Under Your Teeth Implants?

I had 2 implants placed in the back of my mouth about 4 years ago. I have been noticing when I floss or touch the inside of my gums, it is very painful. I just noticed that the entire gum line, on the inside of teeth, is very black and gums appear swollen. The surgeon not only put them on top of a nerve so I have no feeling on half of my lip, gums and some teeth and chin permanently, but there is a huge space under one of them that food gets trapped and can not be cleaned with dental floss.

Never, Ever Put Up With Implant Pain!

+1

So sorry to hear of your problems.  Please, please go seek another oral surgeon, preferably a board certified Oral Surgeon.  You need their kind of help.  Do not waste any more time.  Your dental infection can spread to the side of your face and you do not want that!                          Best of Luck to You.  Dr. N . Summer Lerch

New Haven Cosmetic Dentist

Problems with Implants done 4 years ago

+1

You need to see another oral surgeon or periodontist. Now!  Let them take a look at the work you had and evaluate the problems.  You had them done four years ago and why did you let this numbness go on for so long if you knew they were placed on a nerve?  Now you are having other problems. Do not go back to this doctor.  See one that can help you since you have a myriad of problems here.  Good luck and do not delay! 

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Can Dental Implants fail and become infected?

+1

I am so sorry to hear about your experience with dental implants.  We use a 3D cat scan machine and top of the line implant systems when performing these type of procedures.  I always thought that if a patient experiences permanent numbness after an implant procedure that the doctor is held accountable.  I would seek a different professional to help guide you.   Good luck.  Dr. David Frey

David S. Frey, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Implants can fail and create infection

+1

Implants can fail and create infection for a number of reasons. What you are describing points to few issues. Without X-rays it is difficult to say. But it sounds like the implants were placed too deep and this can cause a host of problems. Do visit a Board certified oral surgeon . You do need to attend to it even if it is a simple periodontal issue. listen to your body, it is never wrong. 

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Infection on Implants

+1

It's possible that the implants are failing. Only an X-ray will tell for sure.

Sounds like there are multiple problems, however, and perhaps you should get a second opinion from a Board Certified Oral Surgeon.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Infections CAN happen around implants

+1

However, some complaints people have relate to the restorations themselves.  The contours and shape of crowns on implants is different than a tooth, and pockets are deeper.  Also, if the implants are close to each other, a black triangle can form.  It isn't pathologic, it just isn't pretty.

Go see the dentist asap and see what is going on.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Serious issues

+1

This is a significant problem. Likely, you are losing bone and potentially the thicker, protective attached gum tissue. This can happen for several reasons, but the important thing to do is to have them evaluated by a very good clinician. Perhaps a really good periodontist in your area may be able to help. Sometimes compromised areas can be dealt with and maintained with increased frequency of professional cleanings and the addition of some oral home care aids like a water pik. But this problem cannot be evaluated over the internet. You need a very good, quality/comprehensive care professional to evaluate and recommend how to address your situation.

Peter Joseph, DMD
Baltimore Cosmetic Dentist

Infected Dental Implants

+1

Sounds like you have a few issues going on. You must go and see your dentist and / or the surgeon that placed the implants.myou should not have numbness.mifvthis is the case from the beginning then the implants were placed into the nerve canal and they should have been backed out immediately after you noticed the numbness. The other way it could have happened is if the surgeon drilled to deep. Was the surgeon a board certified oral & Maxillofacial surgeon, a periodontist or just a general dentist. This issue should have been addressed years ago. As far as the infection goes, sounds as if the implants were not placed i correct position so that the crowns are not an ideal shape . This is causing peri implant iris and needs to be addressed otherwise you will the implants will fail and you will need bone grafting and replacement. Without photos and radiographs this is speculative. You need to have this checked out before more damage is done

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon