Infection or Just Wound Separation?

I am almost two weeks post-op for breast reduction. seemed to be healing well until surgeon removed some stitches from beneath breast. now five days later, site has separated daily, red, tender and draining. there is a large area with black skin. everything remains in this one location.I have kept wound clean, applied gauze with antibacterial ointment.I can't use any kind of bra due to discomfort from rubbing

Infection or Just Wound Separation?

+1

It's impossible to say via this forum and, for sure, without a photo.  Depending on how large the black area is you may have some delayed wound healing.  It should eventually be okay but the specifics of that are hard to know right now.  You'll need to remain under the care of your PS; if you have any questions, consider a second opinion from a board-certified PS near you.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Infection or Wound Separation after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

You will find that, despite your good description and online consultants' good intentions, that online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific diagnosis, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance.  Good diagnosis would require a physical examination, or at least viewing pictures.

At this point, I would suggest close follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to provide you with specific answers to your questions/concerns.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.