What are the Symptoms of an Infection?

I wear my compression garment daily and had lipo on my thighs and knees. How would I be able to tell if I had an infection? What would cause an infection? Sometimes it hurt to walk, a tad bit of burning at times and I am 1 week post op. So now my skin looks like it went from black bruising to red. Ive called my surgeon so I am going in to have him take a look. I had general anesthesia as well.

Infection after Liposuction

+1

Signs of infection include redness, abnormal discharge, fevers/chills. Fortunately, infections are quite rare after liposuction surgery.

Signs of infection after liposuction

+1

Signs of infection and inflammation are similar:

• redness
  • swelling
  • heat
  • pain

It is important to be seen by your surgeon as soon as possible to distinguish between expected inflammation after liposuction and more serious infection. In my experience performing over 5000 local anesthesia-only liposuctions, infection is exceptionally rare when the skin incisions are left open to drain.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon