Infection Surrounding Chin Implant?

On Feb. 2, I had neck lipo/chin implant performed, with a pretty prominent incision/suture line afterwards. The dissolving sutures have fallen out, but there was 1 residual scab in the center of the scar. About 5 days ago some oozing of yellow/pink translucent fluid droplets began adjacent to scab. 2 days ago the scab washed off, releasing lots of fluid and leaving a deep pit that has been growing, w/ continued weeping. I started keflex yesterday, but am worried the implant must be removed?

Infected implant

+1

Dear San Diego - by now I am sure that you have sought attention for the infection in the chin implant area - there is not question that the site is/was infected and immediate attention is required - Keflex is not my favored choice for an antibiotic in this area - Cipro might be a better choice while a culture is taken and specific treatment can be directed.  Hope all works out well and you can decide if another implant will be placed in the site. 

Hamptons Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infection Surrounding Chin Implant?

+1

The posted photos indicate an infected implant. I recommend immediate removal and antibiotic therapy. Replacement after 3 months if healed. From MIAMI 

Infection Arround Chin Implant

+1

An inection after implant placement can sometime be treated without removal of that implant. However, in your case I would remove the implant  because you're so red and swollen. The implant can be replaced later. Talk to your surgeon and follow his/her advice.

Infected chin implant

+1

If you do have infected chin implant, it will have to be removed ASAP. Infections around an implant rarely resolve with antibiotics. Follow up with your surgeon. The implant can  be replaced several months later when things have calmed down.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+1

Do not treat yourself (I would not). You need to culture the fluid, and get the appropriate antibiotics. SEE YOUR SURGEON ASAP.

Chin implant infection

+1

Yes it is infected. See your surgeon, the implant will probably need to be removed. Let things heal then the implant can be repositioned down the road.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin implant infection

+1

From the pictures you provided I would be very worried that you do have an infection. Keflex may not be sufficient. The implant may need to be removed, and additional antibiotics given.

I strongly encourage you to see your Surgeon as soon as possible, so he can better evaluate and decide.

Dr SIegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon