What is the Infection Rate of Fraxel Repair?

The infection rate can vary greatly depending on the technique and post procedure treatments

+1

This is the biggest concern that can happen after a major laser procedure like this (and this is a major procedure, whatever the brochures say). With this type of procedure, many things can and will go wrong if they aren't handled correctly.

The skill and expertise of the surgeon is the only thing that is going to keep you from suffering problems if these things do occur and it is a dermatologist's field to treat these sorts of conditions if they come around.

For this reason, I recommend strongly that you go to a dermatologist to manage your procedure and do the procedure and hopefully, even if you do get an infection, they will be able to treat it easily. Good luck!

Omaha Dermatologist

Fraxel repair Infection Rate

+1

Hi Grace,

Good question. Fortunately, the infection rate after Fraxel repair is extremely low. Personally I have treated over 200 patients without a single infection.

I have heard of a couple of severe MRSA infections on the east coast. Both patients had birds as pets.

Patients are given an antibiotic and antiviral (prophylactically for bacterial and herpetic infection prevention), and are instructed to carefully wash the treated areas with a weak acetic acid solution. The skin is completely covered within 36 to 48 hours after which time the chance of infection dramatically decreases.

Some patients do have a minor acne white head breakout due to the occlusive Aquaphor ointment.

In summary, the infection rate is extremely miniscule, but patients do need to adhere to instructions and take very good care after the treatment.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD