Healing Severe Infection After Breast Implant Removal and Lift?

I had my Breast implants removed almost two weeks ago and a Breast lift was done at the same time.

I have a serious infection that has not cleared up. The doctor acts like it is no big deal. The second round of antibiotics are not working. He says to keep it covered with iodine.

Does this look like anything anyone has seen or dealt with? I feel so depressed and I don't know what to do.

Needs more attention

+2

The fact that your healing is slow in spite of 2 rounds of antibiotics means there is so untreated focus of infection or an bacteria that isn't covered by the antibiotics you are on. It is also possible that there is a decreased blood flow from an implant removal and breast lift. I think you would benefit from removal of the larger sutures, culturing and wet to dry dressings. Iodine dressings are a bad idea because the iodine can injure the healing tissue. Best of luck to you.

Dr Edwards

Infection after a lift

+1

An infection can be minor or more serious.  Without seeing you it owuld be difficult to say what the best solution for you is. If you are not happy with your doctor you may want to obtain a second opinion.

Persistent breast implant infection after explantation and lift (mastopexy)

+1

IT may be reasonable to culture the drainage and determine more appropriate antibiotic therapy. If your infection does not reoslve, it measn that you may have some dead tissue which must be removed.

Infection after breast surgery

+1

This is a very difficult question to answer without being able to examine you.

It is not uncommon for there to be a superficial wound healing problem after a breast lift. Sometimes, this means that a small area of the incision opens up slightly and takes longer to heal. A lot of patients may think it means there is a bad infection there. Sometimes, there is not.

A bad infection is usually characterized by redness and swelling throughout the entire breast, constant pus coming out from the wound, a large opening of the wound, pain and fever.

My guess is that you probably have a superficial wound healing problem. Although it will take longer to heal, and the scar may end up a little unsightly, everything should turn out fine.

If you develop redness throughout the breast, pain,and or fever, then you should seek immediate medical help, such as going to the emergency room of a nearby hospital.

I also suggest you have frequent follow up with your surgeon and keep him/her informed of your progress.

John Diaz, MD

See another plastic surgeon right away.

+1

Hi! The good news is you will be alright eventually, but you need immediate attention. The stitches need to be removed, and the wound needs to be explored and cultured. You need to be on antibiotics and you need wound care, possibly with debridment or else with irrigation and antibiotic cream.

It looks like you have a nasty infection with some skin loss, but, as I said, you will eventually be fine.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)