If an infection should arise before my surgery date, would my Chin Implant need to be removed immediately?

I'm having a chin-implant removed in 2 weeks by a plastic surgeon. I've had the implant for 20 years, but it recently shifted and looks bad. I have no pain, swelling or discomfort.

Chin implant removal

+1
The decision to remove the chin implant  is done based on whether or not it is shifted it looks bad. If  It is in the wrong location, it can be removed and replaced into the proper location under sterile conditions without any problems. If the implant is infected, it should removed immediately whether it's in the right place or not.

Chin Implant removal

+1
Generally I would treat an infection with antibiotics first to settle down the acute phase reaction and then remove the implant.  From your description it does not sound as if there is any infection issue so the planned removal should proceed as scheduled.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
It does not sound like you have any evidence of an infection. Infection would usually be treated with antibiotics first. Occasionally, an infected implant can be salvaged with antibiotic treatment but often the implant would need to be removed. In your case, it sounds like the implant is being removed in two weeks and infection is not an issue at this time.

I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon