Infection After 3 Mths of BA. Are my Chances Higher of Having Another Infection? (photo)

I had breast implants removed and will have them put back in soon but I am worried i will get another infection or cc again. Am I more likely to have another infection or cc ?

Reaugmentation of the breast after Infection

+2

Although it would seem that, if you were treated adequately for the first infection, you should have no increased risk at the time of reaugmentation of the breasts. This, however, is not the case and you are at greater risk than someone who never had an infection. There are, however, several things that can be done to reduce these risks. First, ask your surgeon about other infections in the operative facility and what was done to investigate the cause of your first infection. Also make sure that the breast pocket will be irrigated and implant soaked with an antibiotic that is effective against the organism that caused the infection. You might consider a nasal swab to see if you are a carrier of the organism that caused the infection. Finally, you will need the antibiotic to which the organism was sensitive administered just before your surgery and, perhaps, several postoperative doses.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Replacement after Infection?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about your complication.

Replacement of your breast implant will require judgment  by your plastic surgeon. If the breast implant and or pocket were  involved with an infection I would wait at least 6 months ( and closer to one year if  possible)  prior to re-augmentation.

Again,  there are no absolute rules in this situation. Your surgeon will need to make a judgment call based on the findings observed at the breast implant removal operation.

In general, it would behoove you to be as patient as possible.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Breast infection

+2

A breast infection with implants is rare.  Waiting 3-6 months minimum after removing an implant should reduce your risk of experiencing this problem again.  Good luck.

Implant reinfection

+2

Breast implant infections are very uncommon, and reinfection after a good wait, say six months, keep the risk of a repeat very low. The capsular contracture is related to the inflammation from the infection, though if the new pocket is clean your capsule risk should remain low as well.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Breast Implant Infection and Capsular Contracture

+2

There is always a possibility that you may develop another infection with your next implant procedure.  However, if the infection is treated properly and adequate time has passed (4-6 months) the chance of another infection should be very low.  Discuss with your plastic surgeon your antibiotic treatment and whether consulting with an Infectious Disease specialist would be beneficial.  The risk of capsular contracture is increased with another surgery, a prior infection and a prior capsular contracture.  Even with all of these risk factors there is still a very good chance that you will not develop a capsular contracture.  My Best Wishes!

Web reference: http://www.drlouisdeluca.com/

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant infection

+2

There is always a possibility of implant reinfection after previous breast implant infection.  This also increases the incidence of capsule formation.  An adequate time (at least 3 months) should be allowed between the infection and the reaugmentation to improve your chances of success.  I would also consult with an infectious disease physician to insure that you have had adequate anibiotic treatment for the original infection prior to any repeat surgery.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Previous infection and reaugmentation.

+1

If a patient has an infection of a breast implant treated by removal of the implant, removal of the capsule,  proper antibiotic therapy, and appropriate time (3-6 months) between operations, there should not be an increased risk of infection. Capsular contracture rates are less predictable. There is some indication that any revision augmentation can lead to an increase in contracture rate, as well as having a previous infection in the breast if the entire capsule was not removed in the explantation. Close followup is recommended.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon