Another Infection After the Implant is Removed. What to Do?

2 mo. after my breast lift & aug. I had an absess along my lower incision line. I tried 2 diff. anti-biotics but it kept coming back and getting worse. I went in the next day for emergency surgery. My doctor cut out the absessed part where the puss was, took out the implant and cleaned the pocket because it was inflamed. Iwas starting to feel better after a wk from surgery. Now at 1 1/2 wks the breast has swelling again and is painful. Finished Bactrim yestrdy. What now?

Removing breast implants

It's important to continue seeing your plastic surgeon for this.  When all of the infection is gone, you'll probably be okay getting new implants.

10807 Falls Rd
Lutherville-Timonium, MD 21093

You may have a persistent infection of the breast. I would follow closely with your surgeon to make sure that things are progressing okay.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Undrained pocket after implant removal is likely cause of persistent drainage

IT is probable that an undrained pocket after implant removal is the likely cause of the persistent drainage

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Infected implant surgery

Question, are the implanrs still in place?   It is a loosing battle to treat infected implant pockets with antibiotics. I would remove implants for at leasy several months.

James Apesos, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

5441 Far Hills Avenue
Dayton, OH 45429

Implant infection

I tell my patients if infection involves the implant then that is the treatment we will follow. and we discuss the cost and who is responsible for the cost and the risks

10 East 31 Street
Baltimore, MD 21218

Infections after breast augmentation are rare.

Infections after breast augmentation are rare and it sounds like you have been treated very appropriately with the removal of the implant.  Sometimes the implant has to be removed for several months to allow all the bacteria and the inflammation to subside before placing the implant back in.

Continue to follow up with your surgeon.  Further antibiotics may be necessary depending on your exam or laboratory values. 

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

11762 S State Street
Draper, UT 84020

Breast Implant Infection

A small percentage of breast augmenation surgeries are complicated by infections. Fortunately, this is a small number.  However, when this happens the treatment can result in the removal of the implant with a plan to replace it later. It sounds as if there is a recurrence of some process that resulted after you stopped the antibiotics.  This would suggest a continuing infection and I would recommend seeing your physician as soon as possible.  There can be a number of causes of this and you would need to be fully evaluated to make this determination.

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

1431 Camino Del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014

Recurrent breast infection

You need to return to your plastic surgeon for evaluation and care. Although it is a rare occurence after breast implant surgery, an infection involving your breast implant, especially a recurrent infection, will most likely mean the implant need to be removed for a period of time. The absolute best person to tell you what will be needed is your plastic surgeon though so I would schedule an appointment as soon as you are able.

I wish you well

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

8530 W Sunset Rd
Las Vegas, NV 89113