Is this an infection after Capsulectomy complications 6 weeks ago? (photo)

I had a capsulectomy 6 weeks ago. 2 days later had to have hematoma removed. 6 days after that had fluid from incision & had to go back to have fluid drained . a week later fluid was aspirated & culture negative. Had fever for a day, then slowly got better despite a few sporadic incidents of fluid coming from incision. past week had some pinkness around area where fluid was aspirated & past 3 days some fevers & this lump. Dr put me on cipro. Is this likely an infection & is my implant maybe salvageable?

Infection?

+1
Without being the treating doctor and examining you in person it is impossible to say, but keeping close contact and follow-up with your surgeon is very important.

Is this an infection after Capsulectomy complications 6 weeks ago?

+1
It is not possible to adequately manage your case via this forum since you are in the early post-operative period, may have a complication, and you cannot (obviously) be examined in person by any of us.

However, I am concerned that you do, in fact, have an ongoing surgical issue.  You may need to have the implant removed, the cavity irrigated with antibiotic solution, and then an implant replaced, probably over one or more drains.  Even at that, in the face of a semi-chronic infected cavity (which this may be), it may not be possible to salvage the implant.

But this is pure speculation.  You need to return to your PS and, if necessary, seek additional consultations from board-certified surgeons who can examine you in person.  I wish I had a simpler answer for you but I share your concern.

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS