What Do I Do About an Infection After a Breast Reduction?

Five weeks after my breast reduction I have developed an infection. It started as one spot and now there are 8 spots in the last week. My doctor put me on antibiotics but the spots are not healing they look to be getting worse. They look like wet cottonballs. They started by leaking green fluid a week ago and today they all started bleeding. I can't touch it or even move my arm without pain. Should I wait till I go back to the doctor in 5 days or is it something I need to go to the ER for?

+1

You should contact your plastic surgeon and explain exactly what's going on.  You may actually have some fat necrosis, which is often a self-limited if upsetting process to go through.  Antibiotics are a component of the treatment for breast reduction problems but may not be enough.  Better wound care, including drainage if necessary, may be indicated.  Either way, I'd suggest you speak with your PS.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Infection of breasts

+1

If your skin is open more and oozing quite a bit, and painful, then it is possible that the antibiotics you are taking may not be effective enough. Best to see your surgeon.

Post-operative infection

+1

It sounds like the antibiotic you are taking is not working for your infection. Call your doctor and let him or her know so the antibiotic can be changed and/or you can go in to be checked out. I prefer to see my patients in situations like yours rather than have them go to the ER, but if you can't get in touch with your doctor, that is certainly a reasonable back-up plan. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon