Infection 14 Days After Vertical Breast Lift and Implants?

last night (Monday) I noticed that my incisions were dark pink almost red. My breasts were a little more swollen than normal. Note: I just finished my prescription for Keflex on Friday. I immedicately called the doctor's office and they called in a prescription for Aumentin 875-125 mg twice a day. I started it last night immediately after picking it up. Is this normal? I apply Neosporin brand antibiotic ointment and clean steril gauze daily (sometimes twice a day)

Infection 14 Days After Vertical Breast Lift and Implants

+1

Hopefully you have been seen by your surgeon. This should not be diagnosed or treated on line by surgeons with incomplete info. I would not call it normal to have two courses of antibiotics. 

All the best. 

Infection 14 Days Post- Op

+1

i can not say for sure that this is normal but I agree with your doctors recommendation. Although, i would not use neosporin as many people are allergic to it. I would recommend Bacitracin.

Scott Loessin, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Infection At 2 Weeks Post Breast Lift & Implants

+1

Dear Julie,

Without physical examination and photos it is hard to make sure that you haven an infection or not.

I encourage you to have your surgeon examine you as soon as possible to make sure that prescribing more antibiotics is the right thing to do before confirming an infection.

Thank you for your questing and I wish you the best of luck.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Infection after vertical lift and implants?

+1

At two weeks things should be well along in the healing process.  Scars are often red during the healing process. The only way to know for sure is to be evaluated.

Infection 2 weeks after vertical lift plus implants?

+1

Scars that are two weeks old are going to be pink, sometimes more so in certain patients. At this point, all of your incisions should be sealed, and no drainage should be noted. Antibiotic ointment and gauze dressings would not be necessary if this is the case, but if there are still areas of incomplete healing, good wound care and dressings may indeed be recommended.

I am most concerned that you remained on Keflex for nearly two weeks (is this your surgeon's routine practice?) and had an additional prescription for a different antibiotic without having been seen, your incisions examined, and (if required) culture taken. Simply calling in additional antibiotics without examination is less than ideal, IMHO.

Furthermore, applying Neosporin to healing incisions on a chronic basis can induce allergic reaction to the Neomycin in a significant number of patients. The ointment can stimulate redness, tiny blisters, and inflammation that looks every bit like an infection. The usual response is to glob on even more Neosporin, which aggravates the hypersensitivity response, and then comes the different oral antibiotics, infectious disease consultation, and severe worry that your implants may need to come out!

YUP, all from allergic dermatitis from the antibiotic ointment.

But infection is a "big deal," so antibiotics are appropriate, but not without examination and culture to direct the choice of proper antibiotic coverage!

So many things to consider--that is why you should see your surgeon ASAP and carefully evaluate all of the things that could be going on. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Infection is hardly normal after breast lift

+1

Infection is fairly uncommon after breast lift or breast augmentation, and when infection is seen we usually see it just after the first week. Why you should have an infection at two weeks, and while you were on Keflex is hard to say. Even hard to say if the Augmentin is right without a culture. Hope it works though, and stay close with your surgeon.

+1

It is difficult to tell without a proper physical examination.  Incisions are normally red in the early healing stages; however, redness can also occur with infection, inflammation, skin allergies and other potentially serious problems.  I would strongly suggest making an appointment with your plastic surgeon for follow up very soon- antibiotics over two weeks after breast surgery is not routine in most practices.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon