Infected Suture or Breach? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck about 3 weeks ago. I have found this wound on the suture line. about 1/2 inch long, about 1/4 inch deep Is it infected, or is it a broken suture with raw tissue exposed? I tried to clean it out but the contents are gooey and do not pull out well. right now I have antibiotic ointment on it. does it need to be re-sutured or can skin glue be used?

Post-operative problem

+1

As with any post-operative problem or question it is best to see your surgeon and have him or her evaluate you in person. From your picture, it looks like a fairly common occurance after surgery and it should heal on its own. But it really should be checked by your surgeon.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Suture

+1

it is not uncommon to have minor healing problems afetr a tummy tuck. please see your surgeon for further evaluation and help

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Infected Suture or Breach?

+1

STOP self treating and seek medical/surgical care. Only minor would separation but you need at least to be evaluated. 

Wound problem

+1

this is a very common occurance after abdominoplasty.  see your surgeon and he willl tell you how to care for it.   it will probably heal just fine by itself.  i would not try to close it.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Open wound after tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+1

Small wounds like this are common after abdominoplasty.  Dressing changes, soap, and water are all that should be needed.  You should expect to heal well without complication.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Hello

+1

From the picture it looks like there was probably a little of skin slough. You need to make sure you PS looks at this and treats it. Without seeing you it’s hard to diagnose what can be going on. Good luck.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Post Operative Wound Problems

+1

Thank you for the question and the picture. The wound does not appear to be infected. This is appears to be an area which may not have healed correctly secondary to a suture abscess which has spontaneously drained or some minor tissue necrosis. Your first step should be to see your plastic surgeon to have the wound cleaned and insure that there is no suture at the base which would act as a hindrance to your healing.

Do not tape this or stitch this closed as it will most likely become infected and potentially make the problem worse. With good wound care to keep it clean it  will heal on it's own and most likely be indistinguishable from the rest of the incision. 

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Open incision after TT

+1

You should probably see your surgeon so that any foreign material, most likely a suture, can be removed so that this will heal more promptly. Closing these has a high incidence of wound infection, resulting in the need to open the wound again and begin once more where you are now. These pretty much always heal with just local wound care--cleansing and dressings. Once it is healed, this area will probably look just like the rest of the healed inciision. 

Thanks and best wishes. 

Incision Line Problem after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure.

The type of incision line moaned feeling problem that you are experiencing does occur occasionally after tummy tuck surgery. These areas generally go on to heal without difficulty or sequelae. Generally, it is not necessary to suture, tape, or glue the area.  It is best to allow the area to drain…  Occasionally, it may be helpful to remove any foreign bodies such as absorbable suture/staple that may prolong the healing process.

Of course, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you.