Do You Think I Have an Infected Nasal Bridge Implant?

I had a rhinoplasty+alarplaty w/silicone implant 6yrs ago.I didn't encounter any problem not until last 7wks when i started having a watery sometimes thick grayish/whitish discharges from both nostrils. There's no swelling, pain or any discoloration. I had this habit of nose picking but stopped since i started having this problem. Had seen my doctor & was prescribed with a nasal cream. I am worried where the discharges coming from as im still getting it every now & then.

It's possible

+2

Usually with infections, you will have some, pain/tenderness, redness, and swelling associated with them.  That is not the rule, however, and you could be having a low-grade, chronic infection going on.  Silicone is notorious for late complications, including extrusion and infection.  I would try the cream your surgeon prescribed and if that doesn't correct the issue, visit with an ENT to rule out other causes to be sure.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible Nasal Implant Infection

+2

You are definitely right to be concerned about this. It may not be an infected implant but you would definitely want to rule that out. A thorough exam should be very helpful in determining the cause of the drainage. If it is an implant infection rapid and definitive treatment is imperative to prevent scarring and deformity. Best of luck

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Infected Nasal Implants

+2

There is a good chance that your nasal implants are infected and may need to be removed.  This is a common problem with silicone implants placed in the relatively thinner nasal skin and is subject to repeated local trauma.  If the implants are infected a short course of antibiotics might clear the discharge, but it is more likely that the implants will need to be removed.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Infected Nasal Bridge Implant

+2

It is possible to get an infection surrounding a silicone nasal implant many years after surgery. If the doctor who gave you cream to treat the nasal drainage is not a surgeon, see a nasal surgeon to examine you and evaluate your problem. Even without swelling or pain, infection is possile with intra-nasal exposure of the implant.

Infection of silicone nasal implant

+2

Although it is possible for a silicone nasal dorsal implant to become infected years after original implantation, the symptoms you are experiencing may be due to other causes, such as sinus infection. Consultation with an ENT surgeon should help establish the diagnosis and best course of treatment.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Infected 6 year old Nasal Bridge Implant

+2

Regarding: "Infected Nasal Bridge Implant?
I had a rhinoplasty+alarplaty w/silicone implant 6yrs ago.I didn't encounter any problem not until last 7wks when i started having a watery sometimes thick grayish/whitish discharges from both nostrils. There's no swelling, pain or any discoloration. I had this habit of nose picking but stopped since i started having this problem. Had seen my doctor & was prescribed with a nasal cream. I am worried where the discharges coming from as im still getting it every now & then
."

While redness and some warmth accompanies most infections it is not always present. This may or may not be an infection of the implant BUT if this a sinus infection which is poorly treated it may eventually seed and infect the implant. I would urge you to see your surgeon and be appropriately evaluated and treated.

Dr. Aldea

The abnormal discharge from your nose may be from a sinus infection.

+2

If your nasal bridge isn't swollen, red or tender, then I doubt your nasal implant is infected. If the antibiotic cream isn't helpful, consult an ENT specialist to evaluate your situation. Oral antibiotics may need to be prescribed.

All the best from NJ

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infected nasal implant

+2

This does sound concerning but typically an infected nasal implant is associated with redness and swelling of the bridge of the nose. You may have an infected implant but it sounds more like sinusitis. I would try one or two course of antibiotics and/or decongestants under the supervision of a physician. IF it persists, you may require further evaluation and/or implant removal.

Infected nasal implant vs sinusitis.

+1

If you don't have a history or other symptoms of sinus infection, my index of suspicion for nose infection is very high. When you have a chronic infection and continued drainage of infected fluid, you may not experience or see classic symptoms and signs such as swelling, pain and erythematous skin discoloration. You need to have a through evaluation and examination inside the nose as soon as possible. 

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS