Infected Incision After a Tummy Tuck, Doctor Showed Me How to Clean but Should I be Worried?

I am 3 weeks post op from a breast lift with implant, tummy tuck and lipo of the flanks. I had to see my Dr yesterday because i noticed the middle of my incision was bleeding a little with some yellowish fluid. My Dr removed my surgical tape and said there were 2-3 openings, both not even 1/2 inch long. He cleaned it with saline, betadine, silvadene and then applied gauze with some surgical tap. He told me to do that process once a day. Is this normal? I am very worried?!?!?

Tummy tuck incision issues

+1

Small wound breakdowns after a tummy tuck can happen. Usually they heal pretty well with local wound care.

Tummy Tulk Incision Opening

+1

What you are experiencing happens occasionally (between 3 and 6 weeks after surgery usually). It is not necessarily an infection.There are different ways to manage these openings;   your plastic surgeon has suggested one appropriate way.  I usually tell my patients who are experiencing this complication that it is a “minor bump in the road”  and should not detract  from the final results of surgery.

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Tummy tuck incision issues - stick with YOUR DOCTOR please

+1

What you are describing does not sound like infection.  It occasionally happens that an incision opens a little and needs to heal up with dressing changes.  It is important that you stick close to your doctor who wants more than anyone for you to heal and express your concerns to him/her.  Don't wander off to the internet here, stay close to your doctor!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS