Infected Circumareolar Breast Scar 8 Days Post-Op Breast Augmentation, What can I do?

I had a breast augmentation with silicon implants and circumareolar mastopexy 8 days ago. The surgeon told me to remove the dressings and the stitches 10 days postoperative. Today i felt stitching pain and removed the dressings and my left breast showed areas with purulent matter around the areola and slight gapping. I cleaned it with sterile saline and put on iodine and vasline sheets and a surgical dressings and i'm on augmentin. What are the consequences and treatment? will the scar be ugly ????

Infection?

+2

sounds like you should see your surgeon. often times patients see wound healing issues and assume they are infections.  you may have a little wider scar, but that can be  simply revised later

Newark Plastic Surgeon

Circumareolar augment infectionY

+2
You have handled the dressing change well but diagnosis of an infection should be made by your plastic surgeon. If there is, in fact, an infection and not just a wound dehiscence or separation, then antibiotics are appropriate. The area should be cultured to insure that the antibiotic you are on will cover the problem appropriately. Obviously, an infection relative to a breast implant is of concern in terms of preserving the implant so please see your plastic surgeon asap for evaluation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Open incison on breasts

+2

Without an exam or seeing you in person, I can not say. It may be a slight seperation of your wound or an infection.  You should follow closely with your surgeon.

Open breast augmentation incision can risk all

+2

Open incisions after breast augmentation can risk everything as an infection that involves the implant  can mean removal. Keeping the incision clean as you are is an excellent idea, though you should see your surgeon immediately and let him take charge of the situation.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

You are concerned about infection after mastopexy...

+2

It sounds like you have some knowledge of the treatments but you should really see your plastic surgeon. As plastic surgeons we are trained to take care of the most complex wounds and self treating by the patient is not a good idea. If the wound needs debridement, your plastic surgeon can perform this as long as the person you went to is a legitimate board certified plastic surgeon.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Infection after Breast Surgery

+2

You should notify your surgeon of this. Most likely, this is a suture that is working its way out and you will heal fine but you need to let your surgeon know and be evaluated.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

+2

Stop self treating and seek immediate medical/surgical care. Call your surgeon or see him/her ASAP. Yes superficial infection needs aggressive local care. Worse scenario is implant infection and loss. Scar formation and indentation can also occur. Again best to be evaluated by a PS. 

Postop

+2

Some longer healing is expected with the bunching around a circumareolar mastopexy and the things you are experiencing could be totally within normal postop course. The only way to know is to be seen by your surgeon which you should do.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Infection after Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

+2

It would be in your best interest to follow your plastic surgeon as soon as possible for evaluation and treatment. He/she will be in a much better position to advise you ( as opposed to online consultants).

Wound Problems Around the Circumareolar Incision

+2

You need to contact your plastic surgeon and be seen ASAP.  It is impossible to give the correct medical advice through the internet for this problem.  This requires an examination for the correct diagnosis and treatment.  Please call your surgeon's office today and get seen.  Good luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon