Infected Belly Button? (photo)

I had a belly button revision one week ago and today I noticed a foul smell so I decided to change the dressing And it was very very red so I went to local go who told me it was infected and gave me some antibiotics. Should I have been given antibiotics after the surgery to prevent this? Also now that I have an infection will my results be not as good?

Infected Belly Button?

+1

Dear mzla,

Thank you for you post.  Infections happen from time to time whether on antibiotics or not.  Follow up with your surgeon to make sure it is clearing up and you are on the correct antibiotics.

Best Wishes,

PAblo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Results may vary.

+1

Thank you for your photo. It's hard to determine whether you should of had entered both parties received. Every doctor feels differently about antibiotics after surgery. The most important thing is that you have antibiotics now. Your results may vary due to the infection. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Infection around the umbilicus after an abdominoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon to develop an infection around the umbilicus.   This can be from an infected suture.  Some plastic surgeons use prophylactic antibiotics and others do not, it is a matter of personal preference.  You need to be see by your surgeon to see if there is a suture knot abscess problem.  The infection will not clear until the suture is removed.  

Belly button infection or scarring

+1

The infection should be controlled with no sequela for your final scar.  The belly button is not the cleanest area of the body and a small infection is uncommon but controllable. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Antibiotics After a Tummy Tuck

+1

There are studies showing that prescribing "preventative" antibiotics before or after an elective surgery does not necessarily prevent infections and can lead to resistance issues later.  Many surgeons still do prescribe "preventative" doses, depending on their own personal philosophy.  The umbilical area is also considered a fairly "dirty" area and irritation or infections can occur if the wound is not kept clean or looked after properly even while on antibiotics.  If caught early and treated the results of your surgery should not be compromised, however, if the infection spreads it can lead to larger issues.  It's best to see your surgeon and have he/she follow the area closely.  It is also important that you follow directions thoroughly and return to all scheduled appointments.  As surgeons we rely on the cooperation of our patients to achieve optimal results.  

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon