Inelastic Skin Caused my Old Belly Button to Be Left As a Vertical Scar. Skin Appears to Have Keloid? (photo)

My surgeon could not pull my skin down enough to remove my old belly button. My old vertical belly button scar must have had some keloid tissue in it. What are my options to fix it.. I am 2wks post op and dislike this lump!

Vertical Scar After Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question.  The vertical scar from your belly button is not a keloid.  It is uneven because of the redistribution of the skin from a circle to a straight line.  It will heal nicely and do well with time. No additional treatment is necessary at this time.  The decision that your surgeon made was definately in your best interest.  It is much safer to do what your surgeon did in cases with inelastic skin.  With time the incision heals very nicely.  You should be confident that your surgeon has your best interests at heart and is taking excellent care of you.  With time as the swelling resolves things will look significantly better.  It is too early to evaluate your results. All the best.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Inelastic Skin Caused my Old Belly Button to Be Left As a Vertical Scar. Skin Appears to Have Keloid?

+1

The result and the scar looks reasonable at this time.  There is no keloid present at this time.  Follow-up with your plastic surgeon to determine if he or she recommends any type of scar management at this early date.  Some plastic surgeons will wait for everything to heal for 4 to 6 weeks before placing things on the incisions.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Keloid in tummy tuck scar

+1

There are many things you can do for the tummy tuck scar. You should talk to your surgeon about creams, lasers, injections, and silicone sheeting.

hopefully with all those interventions your scar will heal well.

Brent Moelleken, MD

No keloid present yet

+1

The healing of your scars appears normal for two weeks after surgery.  Lumps, bumps and irregularities of the scars can last for weeks to months.  They usually will take care of themselves.  If problems persist for more than six months, revision of the scar can be done as a minor procedure, usually in the office under local anesthesia.  Ask your surgeon about what you should be doing now to maximize the healing long term.  Best of luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Lumpy Scar

+1

Hi there 

your scar is still very new and will smooth out a lot over the next few weeks to months. It takes a year or more for scars to get to their best .

That scar doesn't have the appearance of keloid. It's just a young scar. 

So relax and stick to your surgeon's post-operative scar regime and I'm sure it will improve a lot .

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Brisbane Plastic Surgeon

Scar after abdominoplasty from belly button

+1

At two weeks, a scar is commonly elevated and usually flattens out nicely.  At this point best to talk to your surgeon and wait it out.  Scars take 6 months to a year to fully mature and flatten out.  I have found that with a minor office procedure additional skin could be excised getting rid of the all or most of the old belly button ( vertical scar) after a year, but usually scars flatten out over time.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Vertical scar after tummy tuck

+1

There is no keloid visible in your scar at this time. You have the normal amount of early post-operative swelling and slight puckering that we see after one of these operations. However, that short vertical scar does have a slightly higher possibility of developing thickening than the horizontal scar. Ask your surgeon about using scar gel during your recovery. If any thickening begins to develop he/she will know what to do to help it smooth out.

Diana L. Elias MD

Diana L. Elias, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon