Industrial Cartilage for Rhinoplasty

hello : My doctor decided to make for me a rhinoplasty by using industrial cartilage to the nose, i want to know what is the quality of cartilage industrial made of ? and Should i change this after a period of time also i'm wondering if it would be natural texture, such as the nose without causing nuisance Thanking you for your cooperation .

Industrial Cartilage in Rhinoplasty

+1

This is the first time I've heard the term "industrial cartilage".  As others have sugested, this may be irradiated cadaver cartilage. I prefer to use the patient's own cartilage taken from thje nasal septum, the ears, or when necessary the ribs.

"Industrial Cartilage" for Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Hi miss_lizliz,

As other rhinoplasty specialists have stated, the term "industrial cartilage" is not used in the US or Canada. Your rhinoplasty surgeon may be referring to a silicone nasal implant or irradiated cartilage from a cadaver. Both are options for rhinoplasty, when one's own cartilage is unavailable. Most plastic surgeons, however, will prefer to use the patient's own cartilage (nasal septum, ear, or rib) during rhinoplasty. Speak with your plastic surgeon regarding the "industrial cartilage". Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Industrial Cartilage for Rhinoplasty

+1

I  haven't heard  of "industrial cartilage" as well.

Homograft from cadavre  is possible but I prefer patient's own cartilage .

Erel Laufer, MD

Cartilage for Rhinoplasty

+1
Industrial cartilage is not a term I'm familiar with, you may be referring to irradiated cartilage which comes from cadavers. Also in the East, the use of implants for the nose such as silicone are commonly used. These implants can lead to infection & rejection complications which is why they are not used in the West.

Kristin Egan, MD
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Industrial cartilage?

+1

I have never heard of industrial cartilage.  There is a thing called irradiated cartilage which is obtained from a cadaver.

Industrial Cartilage?

+1

I can honestly say I have never heard of industrial cartilage for rhinoplasty.  It is quite possible your doctor is talking about cadaver cartilage which is off the shelf.  Most patients who have not had previous rhinoplasty or septal surgery have enough of their own cartilage to do almost all types of complex rhinoplasty work.  Between the septum, ears and rib there should be more than enough.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Industrial?

+1
I agree that this is not a commonly used term but my best guess would be that he meant rib cartilage from a cadaver. It is possible he meant an artificial implant which has significantly increased risks if infection, extrusion, pain etc. You certainly have a right to know, so I would just ask. Good luck.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage for rhinoplasty

+1

I have not heard the term Industrial cartilage ever. This may be dehydrated, cadver cartilage that can be used in rhinoplasty. I do not find this cartilage to be of great use because it tends to absorb and is not predictable. I prefer to use rib cartilage when a lot of cartilage is required for augmentation and/or nasal reconstruction. Ask your doctor to clarify for you what he means. Good luck.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

"Industrial cartilage" for a rhinoplasty.

+1

I have never heard of "Industrial cartilage" in 35 years of rhinoplasty. He may mean banked cadaver cartilage. I never use this as we can get enough cartilage from the nose and or ears. Rarely, we would use rib cartilage.

Cartilage grafts for the nose

+1

For nasal grafting, most rhinoplasty surgeons use the patient's own septal cartilage first. If there isn't enough in the septum,  the next choice is often the patient's ear cartilage, but sometimes it's not the right shape. If a very large piece of cartilage is necessary, as in major revision rhinoplasty cases where too much has been removed particularly along the bridge of the nose, then rib cartilage is necessary. You can use the patient's own rib cartilage or you can safely use irradiated rib cartilage from a tissue bank, which saves the patient an incision on their chest and potential post op pain. I have used over 1000 irradiated rib cartilage grafts in the last 24 years with a complication rate no greater than using the patient's own cartilage. The term "industrial cartilage" is unknown to me.

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon