Indurated Fluid and Creases Six Months Later

I had liposuction nearly 6 months ago to my abdomen and flanks. About 2 weeks later a crease appeared just below my bellybutton and below it's hard deposit. I have been wearing compression garments, but no results. Also, painful indurated fluid has appeared on the insides of my legs. This is painful and makes my legs look huge. My suregon knows nothing about this. He thinks it is because of my high level of excercise, so I stopped, but no difference. Any ideas to get rid of the crease or fluid?

Area of firmness following liposuction

+1

This could be attributed to improper wear of the compression garment and I have seen this caused by creases in the garment which cause a constriction band and swelling beneath it not unlike a tight pair of stockings will cause swelling below the band. I would discuss this withyour surgeon.

Hardness after lipo

+1

This prolonged swelling and edema needs to be brought to the attention of your surgeon.   Deep tissue massage is very important to help soften the tissues and open the lymphatic channels.    A new tighter compression garment should help with the swelling also

Paul S. Gill, MD

Induration after Liposuction

+1

The first step would be to see your surgeon for a follow up. Once it is determined that the fluid is not due to seroma, or a pocket of serous fluid that develops in the body after surgery, then another explanation may be exercise or inadequate drainage to the area. I would recommend going to a massage therapist for treatment geared specifically for this issue. Wearing a compression garment during the day may also help decrease the appearance of the creases and fluid retention. It is also normal for the skin to be creased because liposuction can result in some loose skin in the area operated.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Induration and creases after liposuction

+1

Fluid collections, or seromas, may develop after liposuction, and will either resolve spontaneously or require drainage. Induration is hardening of the soft tissues and is usually due to scar rather than fluid. Creases in the skin may result from excess skin which fails to retract after the fat is removed during the procedure, and may require surgical excision if they do not improve over time.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Liposuction problems

+1

I know it must be difficult to deal with this problem after paying for your liposuction. Sometimes after liposuction, lumps or creases may appear. Most of the times, these problems can and should be treated early to avoid long term issue. The most common way to treat lump and creases after liposuction is massage of the area. Some have used ultrasound and Velashape with success. Most patients obtain excellent result with massage prior to embarking on more expensive methods.

If you have fluid accumulation (seroma) after liposuction, it may need to be drained by your surgeon. I hope your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon. As you may know, any physician may now perform liposuction without any formal surgical training. If your "cosmetic surgeon" is not certified by the American Board of Plastic surgeon, please look another opinion. Good luck

Stanley Okoro, MD

Induration of areas after liposuction

+1

It is difficult to say what this is without an exam. It could be related to the technique performed, it could be a seroma?