After septoplasty/rhinoplasty surgery for deviated septum, what is the chance that nose will deviate again?

After getting septoplasty/rhintoplasty to correct severe deviated septum, is it likely that I may need additional surgeries to maintain the symmetry of my nose throughout life, or is one procedure sufficient in your experience? Do noses tend to deviate again as cartilage grows with age? I am trying to get an idea of what I can expect from a surgery and determine if it will require a lot of upkeep. Are most results long-term when it comes to correcting a septal deviation? Thanks.

Septoplasty and deviated septum correction and recurrence

+1
Thanks for your question,
- Sepoplasty will correct deviated septum in majority of cases.
- The recurrence is rare
- The nasal airway and nasal breathing can improve by doing other procedures simultaneously such as turbinate reduction and nasal valve correction.
Hope this was helpful

+1
If the septal deviation is creating a crooked appearance, the goal should be improvement. 

Deviated septum and curvature

+1
I always tell patients that when septal curvatures are corrected, they can be made straighter but they may not get perfectly straight.  The cartilage has memory and often wants to bend back.

Recurrent Deviation after Septorhinoplasty

+1
With good technique and favorable early results, the chance of future deviation is low. This is not an operation that requires upkeep. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Developing Deviated Septum after Septoplasty

+1
If the deviated septum is corrected at the time of surgery it will not recur. The best thing you can do is to select an experienced specialist so the desired results are achieved.

Septoplasty for deviated septum repair

+1
Most patients only undergo one septoplasty in their lifetime. Approximately 5-10% of patients may need some type of readjustment of the septum if it did not heal properly after the original surgery.

+1
In general, the results of a septoplasty/rhinoplasty last forever. A revision rate of less than 5% may further improve the results. That means 95+% will not benefit from a secondary procedure in the hands of experienced nasal surgeons. Patients need to be realistic about expectations. If there is a pre-op significant deviation of the external nose as well as septum there may always be some residual asymmetries.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

What is the chance that nose will deviate again.

+1
If the septum is adequately straighten and the repair is supported with spreader grafts if needed, the result should be stable for a lifetime. There will be no up-keep, even with aging, something unique to a well performed rhinoplasty.

Redeviation of nose after septorhinoplasty ?

+1
Redeviation of nose after septorhinoplasty ? For an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon this should be less than 5%. After a year you should not have any "upkeep" if the nose is straight.