I Am 5"4" and Weigh 260lbs. I Wear 42H and Was Wondering How Much Breast Tissue Will Be Taken Out?

i am 5"4" 260lbs and wear 42H bra size. How much breast tissue has to be removed in my case? What cup size would i be?

Have you considered that you are having the wrong operation?

+2

If you were to come into my office, I would refer you the Weight Loss Clinic at Swedish Hospital in Seattle.  Your large breasts are a symptom of a much more serious disease and that disease is obesity.  My guess is that you have high blood pressure and are at least pre-diabetic.  Breast reduction will not help your underlying problem of obesity.  Also, your obesity makes you much more likely to have a serious surgical complication.

If you can shed some of your excess weight with the help of medically supervised treatment (and possibly gastric bypass or gastric banding), you will be sooooo much healthier and will be a much better candidate for any breast or body contouring surgery. 

Obesity is chronic, serious illness and to ignore that and just treat the symptoms, is not, IMO, good medicine.

Just sayin'.

Removing Breast Tissue for Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question;  unfortunately, you will find online consultants will not be able to provide you with precise answers. Answers provided can only be guesses and will not be specific enough.

I would also suggest that you look into weight loss programs prior to undergoing any type of body contouring surgery;  doing so will allow you to undergo the breast reduction procedure in a more safe fashion down the line.

Breast reduction

+1

Bra cup sizes do not really correlate very accurately with the amount of breast tissue removed.  We really need to see photos of what you look like currently and how small you want to be made.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast tissue taken out after breast reduction can be estimated.

+1

Hi.

According to a reasonably accurate chart, if you have 900 grams (two pounds) of breast tissue removed from each breast, you should end up with approximately D cup breasts.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How much breast tissue to take out during a breast reduction

+1

Breast reductions are performed to make smaller breasts.  The secondary benefit is that patients often get relief of neck, back, and shoulder pain, bra strap grooving, and intertriginous rashes from reducing their large pendulous breasts. 

Bra size is a very rough guideline in that there are no manufacturing standards for bras and no guarantee that the patient has been fit correctly to begin with.

During a consultation for a breast reduction, I promise my patients 2 things:

1.  They will have smaller breasts when I am done

2.  Their breasts will NOT be symmetrical.  I try to get them as close as possible but there will always be slight differences in volume, nipple position, etc.  If you look at your own breast you can probably see some difference in the size and shape when you compare one side to the other.

Insurance guidelines are as follows:

1.  Documented symptoms of large breasts (see above).  Duration of symptoms.

2.  Documentation of methods of relief:

--What pain medications has the patient tried?

--Has the patient been to another health professional ie. physical therapist, chiropractor, neck surgeon?

--Has there been weight loss?  How much?

--Any documentation of stetching, excercise, weight training to help alleviate these symptoms

3.  Physical parameters

--Height, weight

--Schnurr Scale then estimates the amount of tissue that needs to be resected based on a body surface area calculation that is dependent on your height and weight.

In your case, the only factor that we can consider is your height and weight.  Plugging them into the Schnurr scale for 5"4" 260lbs comes out with a required resection of at least 1075 grams (roughly 2.3 pounds each breast).  You have to have at least this much taken off if you want insurance coverage.

You should be seen in consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon so you can hear about all of the risks and benefits of surgery and have a thorough examination.

Best of luck with your endeavors.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

I can not tell you how much tissue will be removed. Even an office exam will only give an approximation.