Injury After Hernia / Diastasis Repair?

Hi! I had umbilical hernia and diastasis repair 2 months ago. Today my 5 year old son kicked me where my incision is. I have had strange burning and pulling sensations since. I am swollen as usual and still have some of my usual pain but I am worried that my repair may have been damaged. There are no lumps or obvious protrusions that I can see. Do you think that things are ok and that some of my muscles were just stretched or pulled? Would it be obvious if there is a torn suture? Thank you!

Hard to tell if diastasis repair is intact

+2

There is no way to tell by your description whether or not the repair has been disrupted.  It is not very likely at 2 months after surgery, but not impossible and only time will tell. Diagnostic tests, such as a CT scan or an MRI, are of limited value. The presence or lack of muscle bulging wil answer the question.

There is little, if anything, that can or should be done at this point.  See your surgeon if you remain concerned or if swelling and pain persist.  Good luck.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Injury after hernia/diastasis repair

+2
Even if you had not had surgery, a kick to the gut would produce swelling and pain. The only way to determine whether the injury has undermined the repair would be to see your doctor in followup. You would not be able to detect a ruptured suture but, if the repair was compromised, after the swelling goes down, a midline bulge might be palpable.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Diastasis repair recovery

+1
Probably the kick from your son did not cause permanent damage.  When the swelling subsides in a few months your surgeon should be able to determine if your diastasis repair is intact. Good luck.

David Stoker, MD