Birth Control Before Breast Augmentation?

I was advised to stop taking my birth control 3 weeks prior to my BA and to continue staying off the pill for 2 weeks after. I am currently 8 days away from my surgery date, and had to take a Plan B pill last week (which will have been two weeks before surgery). Should I be OK or do I need to tell my PS?

Birth control pills

+1

The dosage of hormones in birth control pills today are so low that the risks of developing clots during surgery is also extremely small. I do not ask my patients to stop BCP prior to surgery.

+1

Always communicate what you have taken to your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.  However, a young patient in otherwise good health taking BCPs prior to breast augmentation (if 15 or 30 minute procedure) is relatively low risk for the development of blood clots in the legs.

Birth control pills and surgery

+1

I think that women on BCP's have a slightly higher incidence of clots in their legs if they remain on them, but most surgeons do not tell their patients to stop them for ambulatory surgical procedures. Best to ask you doctor.

Birth control

+1

You should definitely tell your surgeon, who will probably want to do a pregnancy test.  I have my patients stay on their birth control pills and I think most surgeons do the same.  Yours may have wanted you off them to reduce the risk of clots, which is small with aaa BA.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Birth Control Pills Before Breast Augmentation

+1

Unless a patient has a know elevated risk factor for developing a DVT (blood clot), I do not routinely recommend that women discontinue use of birth control pills before breast augmentation. For longer surgeries, such as abdominoplasty or liposuction, I do recommend stopping hormone-containing medication, if possible. Please discuss your particular situation with your Plastic Surgeon or OB/GYN.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Continue birth control pills through breast augmentation

+1

The risks from pregnancy are greater than the risks posed by BCP's during a breast augmentation. Your best option is to continue them. You can also double check with your primary or OB.

Birth Control prior to surgery

+1

Typically, I do not have patients stop birth control prior to breast augmentation unless there is a specific reason, such as a clotting disorder. I do have all my patients stop birth control/hormones at least 2 weeks before any lengthy surgery. Check with your surgeon to clarify. 

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Birthcontrol and breast augmentation

+1

We do not require our patients to get off birth control before breast augmentations.  You should probably clarify that this is what they want you to do. 

Use of Oral Contraceptives prior to Breast Augmentation?

+1

Always best to check  these types of questions with your plastic surgeon,  who is ultimately responsible for your care. Personally, I do not  ask patients to stop the use of oral contraceptives prior to breast augmentation surgery.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure.

Stop Birth Control Prior to BA?

+1

Hi Kristine,

Our office does not require patients to stop birthcontrol prior to breast augmentation, and I do not believe many offices would do that.  I would call to clarify with your plastic surgeon.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon