Indian (Asian) Skin. No Improvement with Fraxel Repair. My Options?

I am an Indian(Asian) male. Had fraxel repair about a year ago. No improvement. Acne scars, sun spots and discoloration still remain. What are my options? I do not know what settings by md used. Help. Desperate

Re:store for asian skin

+1

I am hesitant to recommend the.  fraxel re:pair for treatment of any dark skin types, types 5 and 6. My recommendation is treatment with Fraxel re:store. Generally the same results can be achieved, but after a number of sessions. For acne scars the treatment with Fraxel re:store is as effective if not more however the patient needs to commit to 4-5 sessions. I still believe the re:pair is more effective for lines and skin laxity than erbium or restore.

Best Treatment for Acne Scars, Sun Spots, and Discoloration of Indian Skin After Initial Fraxel repair Treatment

+1

Hi Ashish,

The biggest worry with using Fraxel repair on Indian and other darker skin types is the possible occurance of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH).  If your skin did not get any darker after your first Fraxel repair procedure, then that is a good sign.  In the treatment of acne scars, Fraxel repair should be used at the highest energy for best results.  Should PIH occur, it eventually fades with time, we just cannot predict how much time it may take.  If your scars bother you enough, you may consider a more aggressive Fraxel repair treatment. 

Fraxel Dual 1927/1550 is a much more superficial laser treatment that can help with pigmentation.

Make sure to choose your treating physician most carefully, and know that you must be willing to accept the possibility of PIH as a trade off for improving your acne scars.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD