How Long Should I Wait to Fly After a Mommy Makeover?

Will be getting a (bigger version of) Mommy Makeover in India. Live in UK. After flying IN to India, how long should I wait b4 I get the surgeries? How long should I wait to fly back to UK after I have HAD the surgeries? Thank you!!

+2

In general two weeks is an acceptable time to wait before flying. However, I would recommed a compression garment for your legs as well as an asprin to help prevent the possibility of a blood clot in your legs. I would also recommend that you get up and walk every hour while you are on the plane and keep yourself well hydrated.

Risks of travel after mommy makeover surgery

+2

Travel to a foriegn country as you are planning is becoming increasingly popular as a means of saving costs. Certainly there are qualified plastic surgeons in many countries now, but the issue of travel home and care for any problems that develop later is one without a simple answer. With a mommy makeover, the most serious problem would be blood clots  (pulmonary embolism) which is more likely with a long flight. Fortunately this is rare but it is only one of the problems that can occur after multiple surgeries. Your own surgeon can best advise you on your specific question but I would not recommend a long plane flight any earlier than 10 days after, preferably at least 2 weeks or more. you will need a lot of help too with handling luggage etc.

You may wish to visit the website of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS.org) which has an advisory statement on international travel for surgery.

Richard Baxter, MD

Traveling Following Mommy Makeover

+1

Travel of any type following mommy makeover surgery can potentially complicate the postoperative course. In most cases, patients have recovered sufficiently to travel in about two weeks following surgery.

Air travel often involves prolonged periods of immobilization and because of this, patients may be at risk for the development of blood clots in their extremities. These blood clots, known as DVT’s, can potentially represent a life-threatening phenomenon when they occur.

There are several risk factors associated with the development of DVT’s. These include the length of the surgical procedure, use of hormonal replacements or birth control pills, cigarette smoking, obesity, a history of cancer, family history of hypercoagulability, advanced age, and previous history of blood clots.

When travel is necessary following mommy makeover surgery, every step should be taken to avoid this complication. Patients should use anti embolic compression stockings, maintain hydration, and ambulate frequently when traveling. In patients who have multiple risk factors, anticoagulants such as Lovenox may be necessary.

If you have plans to travel in the immediate postoperative period, make sure you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. It’s important to remember that every patient’s situation is unique. For this reason, treatment needs to be individualized for every patient. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after abdominoplasty and tummy tuck

+1

Most of the surgeons in this forum agree that 2 weeks is within the bell curve of normal in terms of convalescence after tummy tuck.  

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Flying after Mommy Makeover

+1

In general, you should probably plan on spending at least 2 weeks in a location near where you are undergoing your mommy makeover, as you will most likely want to have access to your surgeon during that period of time for routine post-operative management and follow up. In addition, you should be wary of spending too many hours sitting in an airplane to avoid increasing the risk of blood clots in your legs (deep vein thrombosis, or DVT).

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Flying home after surgery

+1

Depending on the severity and complexity of your case, it would be beneficial for you to wait a minimum of 2 weeks post-op surgery. A mommy makeover procedure could involve multiple procedures which will involve a good amount of healing time. Drains are used to prevent fluid accumulation in the tissues and are usually removed after 2 weeks. 

How long to wait before flying after Mommy Makeover

+1

In general most surgeons would advise that you wait a minimum of 2 weeks after prolonged surgery under general anesthesia prior to flying.

Traveling to have surgery may increase the risks of the procedure.

+1

I would guess that you could have surgery soon after arrival in a foreign country as long as you are well hydrated after the plane flight. It is my professional opinion that your surgeon should be able to care for you for at least 3 weeks after the surgery.  Most postoperative complications occur during this time period. I am somewhat possessive of my patients and do not want them ending up in some emergency room too far from me for me to able to care for them, so I advise anyone traveling to me for surgery that they need to stay in town for 3 weeks postoperatively. Most importantly for you, you should be asking your surgeon these questions.  If you trust him or her enough to travel abroad to have this elective surgery, you should feel comfortable getting this advice directly from him or her. If you are not, you might reconsider your plans to undergo major surgery abroad.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

One week

+1

i have my out of town patients wait one week before flying .   Many of our out of town pateints come from France or London and stay at hotels with nurses taking care of them.   Takes one week for recovery and then they fly back.   Best for healing and prevention of other medical issues.

Good luck.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD