Is There Any Chances of Teeths Relapsing if Retainer is Worn for a Specified Period of Time?

Aftr my braces are removed my doctor recommended me to wear my retainer for 6 mnths 22 hours a day.I will follow that routine regularly,But i hve heard stories of teeths going back to its original place evn aftr wearing retainers,..my question is whther it is necessary to wear retainers forever if i wear it regularly at the beginning?I kn teeths move at old age..im 21 years and i dont want my teeth to shift unless i turn 50.Also i need to fly to other country,can other dentist make my retainer?

Sara and retainers and moving teeth

+2

Hi Sara in India....You follow what your doctor recommended and also be mindful of the fact that once you have worn invisalign or braces, you will need to wear a retainer for the rest of your life if you do NOT want your teeth to migrate back to where they were before the braces. You can have any dental lab or dentist, in any country you move to,  make a retariner for you.  Make sure you continue to wear the retainer and enjoy your new smile and straight teeth!

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Retainers for life!!!

+1

Hello! It is great that you have been wearing your retainers full time for 6 months! I recommend 6 months of full time wear (22 hours out of the day) followed by night wear for life! This is the only way to make sure that your teeth will stay the way they were when you finished treatment. 

New York Orthodontist

How long do I need to wear my retainers?

+1

Short answer...forever!

Even people who have perfectly straight teeth and never needed orthodontic treatment can find their teeth moving as they get older.  How stable an orthodontic correction is depends on the initial problem and how it was corrected.  If the initial problem was crowding and teeth were extracted then the final result may be pretty stable.  If crowding was corrected by expansion it will NEVER be stable.

After a month or so of full time wear I have my patients wear retainers at night...forever if possible..just in case!

Saint Louis Orthodontist