Can This Nose Be Corrected? To What Extent? (photo)

I have a crooked nose. The upper part of my nose--the bone which connects to my forehead--is tilted towards the left. I also have a deviated nasal septum but I believe it's minor. The deviated septum seems more like a result of the asymmetrical bone. Is this an extreme case? I'm almost 23 and plan on getting it corrected within the next couple of years. That is, if possible. I thought I'll start my research by asking a question here. For the record, I'm Indian. Not that it should matter. Thanks.

Correcting a crooked nose

+2

The nose appears fractured from a previous injury and reveals a classic concaved/convexed deformity which is present.  Both nasal bones are twisted to the left side and need to be straightened back to the midline through osteotomies.  A spreader graft on the concaved right side is also used to build out the right upper lateral cartilage since it is concaved and pushed into the airway.  This deformity is also most likely obstructing airflow on the right side.  There may also be a deviated septum which is determined on a physical examination at the time of the consultation.

Correcting a Crooked Nose Deformity

+1

Looking at the photo provided, you should be able to enjoy a marked improvement in your alignment if done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Correction of a crooked nose deformity is arguably one of the more challenging things to do in the world of rhinoplasty. But expert rhinoplasty surgeons can do this with highly successful outcomes on a consistent basis. Your particular case does not look as extreme as others I have done over the years. With regard to your septum, it certainly might be related to the asymmetrical bony bridge. But it also may not correlate at all with the direction and degree of the crooked bridge. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked noses and septums go hand in hand

+1

The septum is the dividing wall between the two sides of the nose. When it's crooked, the nose is often tilting the other way. That has to do with the physics of how everything got off kilter in the first place. A good rhinoplasty surgeon can both improve a crooked nose and breathing at the same time, yet preserve your ethnicity.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty for crooked Indian nose

+1

Your nose can be straightened, and any cosmetic adjustment could be performed at the same time.  Make sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and insist on reviewing a complete portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures so you can gauge the surgeon's experience level and success rate.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Crooked nose

+1

Most but not all crooked noses are caused bu trauma. Sometimes it can be congenital. In order to correct the shape the septum also has to be corrected. Most often it is the septum that pulls the tip of the nose to on side or the other. If the bones are also shifted the will have to be corrected as well. It is a difficult procedure but very effective.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose

+1

Correcting a crooked nose is one of the most common inquiries among patients interested in nasal surgery. If you have a deviated septum this should also be addressed as this maybe contributing to the deviation. Best recommendation to start this process is to consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Nose

+1

Your nose can be improved to achieve more symmetry as it appears to be crooked to the left.  A thorough evaluation of the inside and outside of your nose is recommended.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Crooked nose rhinoplasty.

+1

Yes this can be straightened. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon