I am considering a tummy tuck, do I need to get my abdominal muscle tightened? (photos)

I am 22 years old, i have been working out everyday since the past 3 years, i was around 260 pounds earlier and now i am around 175 pounds, i have a good built now (12% bodyfat), i even work my abs regularly, the only problem is the loose skin on my stomach, considering a tummy tuck to get rid of the loose skin, shall i get my muscles tightened as well ??

No likely need for muscle tightening with TT

From your photos you have excellent muscle tone and no evidence of a muscle gap (diastasis) which means that you do not likely need to have a muscle tightening procedure performed.  Good luck with your TT, you should do very well.  

Gaurav Bharti

Johnson City Plastic Surgeon

325 North State of Franklin Road
Johnson City, TN 37604

Female Tummy Tucks vs. Male Tummy Tucks

In your case, you look very fit and muscle tightening does not seem to be needed, nor does liposuction.  However, with almost all of my female tummy tucks, I prefer to tighten the muscles using corset plication which narrows the waist and feminizes the torso.  A tummy tuck should leave you with a beautiful result: a flat stomach, tapered waist, and no muffin top, and I routinely use liposuction not just on the stomach but on the sides and the back, which are so very important to create a great profile.

Barry M. Weintraub, MD, FACS

800A Fifth Avenue @ 61st Street
New York, NY 10065

Male tummy tucks

rarely benefit from muscle work.  You do have excess skin that could be removed but it will leave a scar that some may find worse then the excess skin.

Curtis Wong, MD

1950 Rosaline Avenue
Redding, CA 96001

Muscle is in Good Shape

Thanks for your pictures.  It is not necessary for you to have muscle tightening.  You simply need removal of the excess skin.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

Male TT

Arb3411, Congratulations for such a good discipline which gave you great results!  You don`t have any need to tight you abdominal muscles, because they seem to be very firm with no abnormal separation between them. You could qualify for a mini-TT, with a only skin resection. Keep the good work.

Kelvin Eusebio, MD

Av. Independencia #451, Gazcue
Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep. 10205

I am considering a tummy tuck, do I need to get my abdominal muscle tightened?

Great effort give great results! Congratulations... I might offer a skin ONLY mini TT. But need in peson evaluation.. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

It does not appear that you will need any form of muscle tightening. The stretch and separation of the abdominal muscles is most commonly caused by pregnancy. Congratulations on your weight loss and new physique. Please make sure to find an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon to perform your surgery.

Renee Burke, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

18 E. Dundee Rd.
Barrington, IL 60010

Tummy Tuck in a Male

No you do not need your muscles tightened. Just have the loose skin removed - you will get a great result.  Congratulations on your weight loss.  

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

4520 Executve Drive
San Diego, CA 92121

Congrats on your weight loss!! What an accomplishment!!! From your photographs, it doesn't appear you need much muscle tightening, if any at all. There is no substitute for a good physical exam though. Go see a plastic surgeon and complete your transformation! Hope that helps.

Christopher D. Knotts, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

1825 Samuel Morse Drive
Reston, VA 20190