Is genioplasty the right option for me? (Photo)

I'm currently wearing braces as I always felt I had a protruding upper jaw, so I got braces and for that I had my four teeth removed, now I'm currently at the end of my orthodontic treatment and here i am posting a before and after side profile of my face. I'm a bit confused, I really don't know if I had a protruding upper jaw or it just looked protruding maybe because I have a receded lower jaw. Just want to know if I really have a receded lower jaw and would genioplasty be a solution for it?

Genioplasty

+1
Yes, you do have a receding chin and would benefit from genioplasty. Either option, sliding genioplasty or augmentation genioplasty using an implant would give you the desired improvement in your profile.

Genioplasty

+1
yes,yes,yes...
Sliding or implant genioplasty would enhance your profile now that your dentition is straightened out.

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Genioplasty for Retruded Lower Jaw

+1
For the small amount of chin augmentation you need, both an implant or a bony genioplasty can be done. While there are advantages and disadvantages to either approach, both can achieve similar successful outcomes in your case.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lower jaw

+1
You have a good perspective. The orthodontics has compensated for the lower jaw deficiency so that the 'bite' may get better, but the profile and facial balance does not. A genioplasty can help but it must also increase the height of the chin as well, so a sliding genioplasty is preferred over the implant route.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon