Is genioplasty the right option for me? (Photo)

I'm currently wearing braces as I always felt I had a protruding upper jaw, so I got braces and for that I had my four teeth removed, now I'm currently at the end of my orthodontic treatment and here i am posting a before and after side profile of my face. I'm a bit confused, I really don't know if I had a protruding upper jaw or it just looked protruding maybe because I have a receded lower jaw. Just want to know if I really have a receded lower jaw and would genioplasty be a solution for it?

Yes, you do have a receding chin and would benefit from genioplasty. Either option, sliding genioplasty or augmentation genioplasty using an implant would give you the desired improvement in your profile.

696 Hampshire Road
Westlake Village, CA 91361

Sliding or implant genioplasty would enhance your profile now that your dentition is straightened out.

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

1020 Professional Blvd
Evansville, IN 47714

Genioplasty for Retruded Lower Jaw

For the small amount of chin augmentation you need, both an implant or a bony genioplasty can be done. While there are advantages and disadvantages to either approach, both can achieve similar successful outcomes in your case.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Lower jaw

You have a good perspective. The orthodontics has compensated for the lower jaw deficiency so that the 'bite' may get better, but the profile and facial balance does not. A genioplasty can help but it must also increase the height of the chin as well, so a sliding genioplasty is preferred over the implant route.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

805 West Broadway
Vancouver, British Columbia V5Z 1K1