Should I Chose This Doctor? (photo)

Attaching a before -after picture of a person who seems having similar case as mine, but even after the surgery the nose height does not look good, thou the shape has come out well. As my nose isn't as depressed as this person's, so can this yield good results on me?? should I chose the doctor who did this surgery. in my case additional work is needed in nostril as left one is higher than the right nostril and to straighten the tilted columella. Please suggest.

Selecting a Surgeon for Rhinoplasty

+1

The pictures from the surgeon you're considering appear to be very short term results. Ask for long term results (at least a year) and meet with his patients.

Selecting a plastic surgeon for rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Wow, this is really on open ended question.  You should select a surgeon for your surgery who understands your concerns and feels that he can meet your expectations.  Ask for guidance from friends and family, ask to speak with former patients, ask your family physician for his opinion.  

Rhinoplasty and dorsal augmentation

+1

Every patient is a bit different in terms of what they need. The surgeon photos look perfectly acceptable. Make sure you are happy with the surgeon and staff as well. Good luck.

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon.

+1

The photos you have provided, demonstrate a very acceptable reduction rhinoplasty and correction of the nasal deviation.  The height of the bridge and tip is difficult to evaluate without a lateral (side) view but appears acceptable for a male.  I would comment that both the base width and bridge width may have been somewhat overly narrowed.  Your preoperative photos show some features similar to the case example and correcting the nostril asymmetry should not especially increase the level of difficulty.

A surgeon's before and after portfolio is an important factor when deciding on whether to proceed with that surgeon, however, I would not proceed based on that criterion alone.  

When choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon, several factors should be considered:

1.    Training.  Has the surgeon trained in a surgical residency program with sufficient exposure to both cosmetic and functional nasal surgery?  Did the surgeon do additional fellowship surgical training focusing on the face and particularly the nose?

2.    Board Certification.  Did the surgeon satisfy the necessary criteria to obtain certification from one or more surgical specialties that include rhinoplasty?

3.    Experience.  Does the surgeon have an active busy rhinoplasty practice?

4.    Before and After Portfolio.  Can the surgeon show me several excellent results, especially addressing the changes I desire?

5.    Testimonials and recommendations.  Does the surgeon have several patients that enthusiastically endorse the practice, in particular for rhinoplasty?

6.    Recognition and reputation.  Although it is useful to consider a surgeon's recognition and general reputation in the community, it is important to remember that these are heavily influenced by aggressive marketing, public relation efforts and self-endorsement campaigns that may not accurately reflect the facts.  In other words, some of the most visible and recognized surgeons may be delivering very mediocre results while other less recognized surgeons may consistently give good or great outcomes.  It is best to consider multiple sources including unbiased word-of-mouth evaluations and internet review sites.  

7.    Do I like this person?  Surgery is a very personal thing.  If you don't connect well with the surgeon or something seems significantly "off", then it is probably best not to enter into a patient-physician relationship.  The reverse also applies.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC. 

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon