Is this fat or loose skin, and how can I solve the problem?

I am 18 years of age, and up until about 5 months ago, I weighed in at 250 pounds. I then drastically cut down on my calories. To about 1,200 a day. I am also 5 feet 6 inches tall. I do not look overweight necessarily, but when I sit down on my bed or in a chair, I appear to have a gut that is not there when I am standing up. Do you know what this could be, and how can I fix it?

Loose skin and extra fat for liposuction vs tummy tuck

+1
Thanks for your question.
We can not answer this question without more inofrmation, an examination and/or pictures 

+1
  This cannot be answered without pictures or an exam or more information.

Loose skin

+1
Physical examination or at least pics are necessary to determine what it is. A huge weight loss can result in loose skin and you could need a Tummy Tuck.YOu should go to a board certified plastic surgeon so he/se can explain to you what has to be done. 

Yily De Los Santos, MD

What to do with belly after weight loss?

+1
First of all congratulations on your weight loss.   How much did you lose?  Without pictures it is difficult to say for sure what you need to have done, but  I suspect you have a lot of loose skin that bunches up when you sit down.
The way to solve your problem would be with a tummy tuck probably. The best thing to do is schedule to see a board certified plastic surgeon to get the details. Good luck.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after weight loss and tummy tuck.

+1
Greetings,

Without examining you it is difficult to speculate about your surgical care.

Patients with weight loss and loose skin can present a difficult problem for an optimal result. The excess of tummy skin can occur in the vertical and horizontal dimension.  Tummy tuck with a horizontal incision helps with the vertical (top to bottom) extra skin but can leave loose skin centrally (since the excess skin around the waist is not reduced). The waist is reduced with muscle suturing of the rectus and this too contributes to the sense of excess skin horizontally.  This problem can be troublesome for the patient if the skin and fat above the belly button is still very thick and is pulled down to the pubis.

Excess fat in the tummy tuck skin that is pulled down to the pubis may be conservatively trimmed. If the skin and fat advanced downward from above the umbilicus is very thick, the surgeon must wait for a later date to thin out the lower abdomen with lipo. This prevents unnecessary  blood vessel injury and potential tummy tuck skin loss.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Fat or Loose Skin?

+1
It is difficult to answer your question without photos or an in-person consultation to see and feel your skin. How much weight have you lost in 5 months? Are you still losing weight? Dramatic weight loss in a short period of time can result in loose, excess skin. However, you are very young, so your skin may tighten on its own and catch up to your weight loss. You should maintain a stable weight for at least one year before considering surgery. 

German Newall, MD