I Have Indents by the Outside of my Incision 2.5 Mo's After Lower Bleph. Circles Are Darker. Should I Worry? (photo)

lower bleph done 10-14-11.So as swelling decreases, the line where my cheek meets my lower lid is getting worse. Went in on Nov. 17 and was given shots for inflammation & they did seem to even out the lids a bit.Right eye seems like it has 2 lids now, but has gotten little better. Went to dr. in dec because eyes/muscles ached a lot. He put me on Prednisone pack thinking it was probably sinus.Today (12-29-11)outer corner by incision is now indenting in.Nurse said will pop back out.Will it?

Photo is no substitute for a consultation.

+2

Generally, you are still early from eyelid surgery.  Eye muscle ache after eyelid surgery is dry eye until proven otherwise.  Your doctor probably lacks the specialized equipment, training, and knowledge to examine, diagnose and properly treat dry eye.  Generally, this is not a condition that should be treated with prednisone.  Rather than getting post-operative care from a nurse, consider seeing your general ophthalmologist for an assessment of dry eye.  It is common for dry eye to improve but with cold weather we end up living in very dry spaces and this can exacerbate your symptoms.

Still a bit early

+1

Its hard to pinpoint the specific region that you are worried about. But it seems that the problem is that uneven transition between the eyelid and cheek. Our goal with eyelid rejuvenation is to make the transition between the eyelid and the cheek a smooth one.

Sometimes this is done by removing a bit of fat, while adding fat other places. Sometimes reposition the fat can achieve this process.

Once 6 months have passed, you would need another opinion to see what else can be done to improve this transition zone. Sometimes fat grafting, other times fillers.

Best of luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dents after Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty

+1

I would agree that you are still in the early postoperative period and there still may be more improvement in the swelling.  After the swelling is resolved, you may end up requiring some filler to soften the lid-cheek junction.  Please make sure you follow up with your surgeon.   

Michael Sundine, MD

Blepharoplasty

+1

Your before photo is not comparable to the after because you are smiling in the after shot which distorts the lower eyelids. I cannot see the indent you describe. It sounds like what bothers you most is the visible junction line between the lower eyelids and the cheeks. Not knowing exactly what your surgeon did, your being less than 3 months out from surgery and the after photo shot state make it impossible to say whether the surgery addressed that issue or not. I suspect it did not but the person in the current best situation to address your concerns is your surgeon who has the benefit of possessing all the required information.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Dark circles after blepharoplasty

+1

The dark circles under the eyes and line along the rim may not leave after three months of healing. The skin may just be naturally darker and respond to a concealer. The line along the rim, or tear trough often responds to fill such as fat grafts to cover and smooth the rim. Your incision should improve and we would avoid 'shots' and steroids.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com