Indented Scars on Arms From 10 Years of Drug Use: How Can I Remove Them?

I'm always hiding my arms with long sleeves. but im tired of having to do that.. it bothers me so much... they are on both arms. and very indented. please tell me something i can do to atleast make them not so noticable.. thank you so much, Edie

Fractionated laser resurfacing for the scars

+2

Fractionated lasers can help blend the scars, but nothing will make them actually go away.  I have personal experience treating these exact scars and they can do very well with a fractionated laser resurfacing treatment.  However, sometimes the drug use may have resulted in some carbon tattooing in the skin and thus would require a separate laser treatment to treat this pigmentation (a Q-switch laser).  

Good luck and be well.

Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar Removal

+1

You can have fat grafting to the area, or fillers, and or you can do scar revisions which are a surgical option.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Depressed scars on the arms

+1

There are a number of options that may help improve the appearance of depressed scars. In some cases soft tissue volume needs to be added.  In others, lasers or other technology-based solutions may be of benefit.  In most cases, a combination of treatments performed over time as opposed to a single treatment will provide the best results. 

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scars on arms

+1

Chemical peels and laser treatments can help with color and surface issues of the scars, but the depressions are likely to need filler and possibly what is called subcision where a sharp instrument or needle is used to break up any scar tissue that might be pulling down on the surface of the skin - this is likely given the cause of scars.  Fat, diluted sculptra or radiesse may be used. Often just plain saline will stimulate collagen renewal that will gradually fill in the depressed area. Saline is cheap and exceptionally safe but multiple sessions would be needed.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist