Indented Scar Treatment After Rhinoplasty

I had a rhinoplasty on May 20, 2010. The external splint that was placed on my nose after surgery caused an indented scar on my nose. The scar is 4mm x 10mm, dark red/brown. Is it likely that the scar will go away with time, as that is what my dr told me? But then again he also told me that I wouldn't have a scar and I do. My dr prescribed Ultraquin (4% Hydroquinone Cream USP) to lighten the hyperpigmentation of the scar area. Are there better treatment options available? I am 28 yrs old.

Indented Scar after Rhinoplasty

+1

Both of these problems should resolve with time. The indentation was probably caused by increased splint pressure in that area, limiting the normal temporary post-op swelling. Your bleaching cream will hasten resolution of the hyperpigmentation. Avoid sun exposure on your nose in the interim.  

Indented Scar from Nasal Splint After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Hopefully by now your "scar from your splint" has resolved.  This is very uncommon.  Best to follow your surgeon's advice.  If the scar does not improve, please include photos so that we can better advise you.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD