Indented Scar on Tip of Nose? (photo)

I let the plastic surgeon cut out a fibrous papule that bothered me on the tip of my nose, however now I have a small hole there. It's been five months and it hasn't filled in all the way and it's still really red. The dermatologist said to wait a year and it'd look find, but I just don't see any progress in the last two months or so. Right now I'm considering subsicion. What would be the best way to fill in the scar and fade the redness? I've been using glycolic acid 20% and Retin-a.

Subcision and scar revision for scars on the tip of the nose

+1

Subcision is ideal for the most difficult indented scars. Subcision and injectable filler may dramatically improve this scar. 

Scar

+1

In my opinion, your best results are going to come from laser treatment.  I think the CO2 Laser would give you the best results with the fewest number of treatments but one of the fractionated lasers could work just as well if not better - but would take more treatments.  The thick sebaceous nature of the skin on the nose makes it less likely to improve with subscision than the skin on the rest of the face.  I think using the Retin-A is a good idea and if you're using that you probably don't need the glycolic acid.  Good luck with this.

Peter J. Jenkin, MD, FAAD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Indented scar can be corrected with Juvederm.

+1

Hi.

This type of scar is best corrected with an injectable filler.  You may need two treatments, because scar is rigid and may not accept enough filler the first time.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)