Options For Indented Facial Scar From Dog Bite? (photo)

I have indented red scar above my lip from a dog bite 18years ago would a filler help with the appearance? I would love to cover it atleast w/makeup but since its indented makeup just makes it stand out more. Please help I need advice asap!!

Subcision Followed by Dermaroller Works Well for Traumatic Scars

+1
  1. Subcision is a procedure in which a sharp needle is inserted and fanned around under the scar (after numbing with local anesthetic). This technique breaks up the scar tissue and also allows for new collagen to be produced that flattens the scar and improves its appearance. In general, a series of procedures, usually two to four spaced at monthly intervals,  is required to achieve an optimal result. To further enhance collagen production and to improve the surface appearance and coloration, I would suggest two to four treatment sessions, at six week intervals, of medical microneedling with the Dermaroller. This procedure, which may be performed under local or topical anesthesia, also stimulates new collagen formation. But by breaking up the surface of the scar, it also allows for improvment in the surface appearance and for improvement in the otherwise ivory-like color of the scar

Web reference: http://YoungerLookingWithoutSurgery.com

Larger depressed scars respond to excision with resurfacing

+1

I agree with the other comments. Sometimes resurfacing alone with the fraxel repair laser can be all that is needed but with deeper and wider scars, an excision (cutting out) of the scar immediately followed by fractional resurfacing is an ideal treatment.

Charlotte Dermatologist

Scar revision on the lips with Fractional CO2 and scar revision, Melaquin AM

+1

There are many options for indented scars such as the one shown in the photo.  Surgical revision followed by Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing would be an ideal treatment protocol in my own practice in Santa Monica.  I would also recommend pre and post treatment with Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM to enhance the results of the scar revision of the lips.

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Lip scar improvement with scar revision

+1

Since the scar is relatively wide and depresses, a re-excision and meticulous repair  (scar revision) by a plastic surgeon should give you the best outcome. Treatment with scar cream and protection with high SPF sunscreen are also important.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

+1

As shown by the posted photos I agree with Dr Trimas. Re excision of the defect and layered closure would give the best chance of an improvement. 

Indented dog bite scar of the upper lip region

+1

in my opinion, the very best treatment would be to simply excise or remove the old scar and make it a narrower line. This would be the best way to treat the scar for long term improvement.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon