Indented Columella Scar More Noticeable over the Years? (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty 5 years ago and my columella scar had become more prominent and indented over the last 2 years. Can this be corrected using dermabrasion (or a similar treatment) or do I need to undergo a scar revision?

Scar revision from open rhinoplasty

+2

It looks like you may benefit from a scar revision of your open rhinoplasty incision. Best to be seen in person.  Good luck.

Indented Columella Scar More Noticeable over the Years?

+2

This is one of the complication of open rhinoplasty. ONLY scar revision will help. Best to see your surgeon to discuss 

+2

The photo you've provided does appear to show a significant indent in your transcolumellar scar. It is hard to tell for sure without seeing a profile view but dermabrasion likely will not provide enough benefit to camouflage the scar. Scar revision (cutting out and replacing the widened scar with a finer scar) is likely the best option. Seek an in person consultation with a Facial Plastic Surgeon for more specific advice. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columellar scar after rhinoplasty

+2

Your picture is not ideal to view your scar, but if your columellar scar is depressed, it's possible that a filler could be used to help raise it and make it less noticeable.  The other option would be to have the scar surgically revised.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon