Indentation After Upper and Lower Blephoroplasty. Causes? How to Fix? (photo)

After an upper and lower blephoroplasty, the area between the inner canthus and the upper bridge of my nose is noticeably indented on both sides.The surgeon says he hasn't seen this before and doesn't know what caused it, and nothing can be done to fix it that would be worth the risk. Have you encountered this, do you know what causes it, and would you recommend doing anything to fix it? I will try to upload a photo.

Indentation After Upper and Lower Blephoroplasty. Causes? How to Fix?

+2

In this area of the upper eyelid, this indentation, IMHO, is most likely caused by over-resection of the underlying eyelid muscle as part of the upper eyelid surgery.  I would leave it alone for 1 year and see how it looks at that time.  I would not do fillers to the upper eyelid because of the potential complications.  

+2

Based upon the one posted photo the only indentation I see is very small centrally. I do not agree with this being fat loss but I believe you have had a wound/incision separation that has healed by secondary intention. Minor scar revision under local can alleviate this. 

Indentation after Upper Blephoroplasty

+2

This is not often seen as the upper eyelid is very forgiving, it could be due to atrophy of the fat or over removal of fat. I would suggest allowing some time to pass, possibly 6 months, if still present at 6 months, you can harvest or re-arrange some fat to fill these voids, this could be done under local anethesia in the office with minimal recovery.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Indentation After Upper and Lower Blephoroplasty. Causes?

+2

As far as causes, it could be from fat removal in this area or some sort of fat atrophy from cautery.  It is a little unusual.  Some might consider placing a little filler in this area to reduce the concavity, but that is risky as the angular artery and other major vessels are near the area.  Acute vision loss has occurred after injections in this area.  I would wait a minimum of 9-12 months before considering any treatment as it may subside with time.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Preop photos

+1

The hollowness you are pointing out is in a region that is quite medial from the incision site and I would be surprised if your surgeon even came close to this region. It is possible, that as he removed excess skin, and possibly fat in this area, that it opened up the medial canthus region and made your natural anatomy more noticeable.

If you had preoperative photos posted, we might be able to more accurately evaluate this change. I would not be surprised, that this anatomy was present even before surgery, and now that you are looking at it more closely, it has become more apparent to you.

Honestly, your incision has healed quite well.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon