Indent Along Nostril After Rhinoplasty

I had a septo-rhinoplasty + tonsilectomy done a week ago. I saw my surgeon yesterday and mentioned that my external splint looked rather crooked, but he didn't seem to be concerned. I have a noticable indent (like a chunk of skin is missing) next to where my tip stitches were inside my nostril, and it doesn't look like the other nostril. Is this something normal and will eventually heal or go away?

Probably related to swelling

+1

With respect to the asymmetrical nostrils, one needs to allow several months of time to pass before any final determination can be made as to whether there are asymmetrical nostrils present after a septorhinoplasty. This is probably related more to swelling and dissolvable stitches that are up inside the nostril.

See your doctor to evaluate the problem

+1

It is too soon to say anything about what you describe. See your surgeon to determine if the problem will go away. He knows what he did and will be best to advise you.

Rhinoplasty and nostril notching

+1

Since you are only one week after surgery, it is possible that the notching could be caused by a tight suture. This should get better with time as the suture dissolves.

There are other possible causes: notching from swelling, the splint or scar tissue. My guess that this will heal with time. I recommend patience and discuss your concerns with the asymmetry with your plastic surgeon. If there is significant asymmetry after 8 weeks, you might consider a small amount of hyaluronic acid filler (Juvederm or Restylane).

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Indent of Nostril With Asymmetry After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Nic,

It is difficult to answer your question without examing your nose.  You should clearly let your rhinoplasty surgeon know about your concerns, and keep frequent follow up appointments. 

Good luck and hope that you enjoy your new nose.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD