Increasing Breast Implants 2 Months After First Augmentation?

I had an initial Breast Augmentation 2 months ago and am not satisfied with the size. If I opt to have another surgery to exchange the implants for a larger size, what is the best optimal time to wait? Is it better to wait until fully healed?

I would hate to be fully healed and then start all over again. However, I want to do what is best recommended as I want a good overall result. My plastic surgeon thinks my implants are perfect and has given me little information on a redo.

Breast sizing

+2

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Optimal Time for Size Change after Breast Augentation

+2

A 6-month time frame is wisest. Let the swelling resolve, and a little more healing occur before "going back in."

The healing time for surgery to replace implant size is minor compared with the first procedure.  You have nothing to gain by rushing into implant replacement surgery.

Take your time sizing to be certain you really do want to go larger. Try putting dry rice into zip-lock plastic bags and place these in your bra.  Once you have the right amount of rice to give you the size you are seeking, bring the zip-locks to your plastic surgeon, who can then measure their volume.  Adding this amount to the volume of your current implants should produce the effect you desire.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

What if I want larger implants 2 months after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Hi there-

I would advise you to give it a bit more time (at least 3-4 months, and preferably 6) for several reasons...

First of all, your breast outcome is probably going to evolve for that period of time, meaning that at present you are likely not seeing the final outcome of your initial operation. It may be that after a suitable period, when you have achieved your final outcome, that you are indeed happy and no longer desire a second procedure.

Secondly, expanding your skin too fast by placing implants, and then larger ones soon after would increase your risk of developing stretch marks or other problems you would I'm sure rather avoid.

Finally, even if you do decide to proceed with an implant exchange, waiting until your outcome is stable and final will make your surgeon's job much easier, and the outcome more predictable.

So while I know you are impatient to get what you want, I think waiting a bit longer would only be in your best interests in that regard.

Armando Soto, MD

Increasing volume

+1

Since you just had surgery two months ago, it is a bit early to swap out to a larger size.  You should heal first and probably wait a few more months.

+1

Increasing Breast Implants 2 Months After First Augmentation? This is too soon. I generally recommend waiting 4-6 months.

Wait a little, consider a size

+1

I would recommend waiting at least 6 months before deciding to exchange your breast implants for another size. What is more important is to think about what size you would be happy with. Have a conversation with your surgeon about the size you chose before surgery and why you are unhappy. Keep in mind that the cost of implant exchange in many cases is more expensive than the original breast augmentation.

Joseph G. Bauer, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Tincture of Time before revision breast surgery

+1

Jp1969,

To answer your question directly, I would wait 3-6 months after your surgery. This will allow the tissue to heal and regain their softness so that revision surgery (if needed/desired) will not be as difficult. Just give it time. Also realize that your tissues may be able to accept larger implants without serious risks. Continue to follow up with your surgeon and together you all can determine the next move.

Take care.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Timing of re-do breast augmentation surgery

+1

Be patient. I would recommend waiting at least 4-6 months before undergoing a breast augmentation revision. This time period will allow all of your swelling to resolve as well as your implants to drop and your breasts to soften. You may find that by waiting, you may ultimately like the size and appearance of your breasts. After waiting 4-6 months, if you would still like to be bigger, I feel it would be safe to proceed with a revision.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Re-do breast implants

+1

First of all you should wait 4 months before worrying about the size you have. Presumably a lot of thought went into thie choice of your current impant and you need to give the tissues a chance to relax and let the implants look the way they should before making any decisions about revisions.

Also if your doctor spent a good bit of time preop on the choice of size with you and feels your result looks good and as they expected, they are under no obligation to re-do you for free or even for a substantially reduced price. For that matter, they can refuse to re-operate if they feel it isn't in your best interest.

Hopefully, time will work in your favor and you will like what you have.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Dissatisfied with breast implant size

+1

Two months is a bit early to assess size of implant. How long you should wait is relative since each situation is different. Some breasts with increast in volume as you heal since the soft tissues can restrict the implant. After the soft tissues soften and stretch, the implant may cause the breast to soften and increase in size just as your tight jeans will enlarge after wear. Other situations may cause shrinkage of the breast if edema and bruising is extreme such that as these side effects abate, the breast diminishes in size. I usually recommend three months at least. The other consideration is safety since the large the relative size of the implant, the more long term complication. Also, you will need to be specific about what it is about the size that is a disappointment: the cleavage, the upper pole fullness, the width, the bra size, the proportion to the rest of your torso. Size is not one-dimensional.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD