Increasing Breast Implant Size to Achieve Body Balance?

I am 5' 105lbs 27" ribcage and was a small A cup. My doctor recommended 250, 275, or 300ccs mod. I went with the 250 f/t 275 but I feel like my pear shaped body just swallows the size (hips 36", waist 27"). I don't want anything huge, just balance.

I talked to my surgeon and he said I still have adequate breast tissue so he recommended going with 325 cc mod plus filled to about 350 cc that way he wouldn't have to risk creating a bigger pocket since it's still the same diameter. But will this give me the balance I am looking for? Looking for some second opinions...

Breast Augmentation Blackjack

+3

Breast implants are imperfect. They provide volume to the breast and push the breast up but ALL implants have creases and folds which are best kept covered by your own tissues. The MOST important consideration in obtaining a NATURAL breast augmentation result is obtaining as much soft tissue COVERAGE of the implants as possible. In effect, your present breast will largely determine the limits of a reasonable implant best suited for you. All of us are "dealt" our appearance, intellect and other attributes. The breasts you are dealt at birth will tell your Plastic surgeons which implants could best be used. If a larger implant is chosen, your present tissue will NOT cover it and the result will be a larger breast whose base is a palpable visible implant and its ripples. Not a pretty picture.

YET - to some people who do not understand this concept, a breast augmentation appears to be more like trying different size shoes where you can always simply switch to a larger size. That is not the case. Although you could "go bigger", there are serious consequences to doing so which may be irreversible.

In your particular case, you began with asymmetric A cup breasts and after surgery achieved a nice result. I would think long and hard before "asking for another card" in this Blackjack game - doing so may cause you to lose.

Larger breast implants to achieve body asymmetry with hips

+2

Thank you for your important question. You have a very nice normal looking breast augmentation result now so you need to think clearly about how much larger you want to go.

From your photo it seems likely that you can accommodate breast implants in the 350-400 cc range which certainly will make you fuller. However I am uncertain if that will balance with your hips, because the width of your shoulders is a more important determination of balance between your upper body and lower body. Be sure to discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Increasing breast implant size to achieve body balance?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Given your description and wishes, a small implant may be the right one for you. The most important determination for the correct implant size is the width of of your breast. Choosing one that fits your breast perfectly would be the ideal one for you. Although there are a few smaller sized implants available, an evaluation and examination by a plastic surgeon of your breast characteristics, breast width, and skin/soft tissue laxity are very important in picking the right implant to meet your desires. Consideration for the gummy bear implant is also a thought. Photographs of what you envision for yourself may be helpful during your consultation.

Consult with a surgeon who will discuss the various options, implants, incision location, implant placement, etc. it is difficult to give you recommendations without an examination and measurements. Good luck and best wishes for a terrific result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Size Implant Selection

+1
It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape of implant that will get you the proportional results you desire without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).
My advice is to accept advice from your board certified plastic surgeon after a formal consultation and examination with measurements.. If still confused don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Implant selection

+1

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection to replace an in office exam and good communication with a board certified plastic surgeon.   I think the in office sizing will be very important to helping you identify the right body proportion. 
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant revision/sizing

+1

If revisionary surgery is decided upon, it will be very important to communicate your size goals and what you are referring to as "balance" with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Implant revision

+1

Going up in size may be helpful to achieve what you want.  Wider implant and perhaps with some more volume may help work with your wide hips.

Increasing implant size in revision breast augmentation

+1

Great question and your pictures are very helpful. You have a very nice result for your original breast size and shape. The most common reason for breast augmentation revision is size! I would say that you may want to increase your base diameter of the implant and the ballpark (325 to 350) is appropriate because you need a little expansion of your outer breast (consider 350 to 375 too). This should be a relatively easy operation as far as recovery and a hopefully you can find the result you are looking for. Keep the size reasonable and your goals should be accomplished.

I hope this helps

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Dangers of changing a nice result

+1

Occasionally a patient will have a well chosen implant whose base diameter matches their chest wall diameter behind the breast very well.  Maybe it doesn't make them a big as they want.  They will naively think they can just go bigger and be fine.  But going bigger opens up many new problems and may ruin what was an otherwise nice result.  

You are in that situation as going mod plus will give you a rounder, more ball-like look, not necessarily better.  I'd personally advise you to stick with what you have. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Increasing implant size after initial breast augmentation

+1

Many plastic surgeons are reluctant to place larger sized implants. You had very small implants placed and just going up to a 325cc implant from where you are will increase your cup size by less than a half cup.

Between 120-150cc will increase the cup size by one. So, you can yourself decide how many cup sizes you need to go up to achieve what you want to achieve. If your plastic surgeon is reluctant to put that size in, find another one who will.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon