What is Increased Sub Q Scar Tissue for Rhinoplasty?

Ive smoked marijuana 4 times only, after my surgery (open rhinoplasy) out of white papers within the same and 1st month, I know not a wise descion. I was told, realistically, it wouldnt change the form of my nose thankfully but that marijuana seems to cause increased sub Q scar tissue. May any doctor please explain to me what exactly that means and what is a sub Q scar tissue? Iam not smoking anymore but id like to know if that would make a difference since ive already smoked in the crucial stag

+1

Increased scar tissue that build up over the nasal cartilages just above the tip making the tip appear thick and wider after a Rhinoplasty.  Thick, oily skin is the most prone.

Increased Sub Q Scar Tissue in Rhinoplasty

+1

Sub Q scar tissue is an abbreviation for "subcutaneous" scar tissue. There is no evidence that marijuana will cause increased scar tissue formation. Scar tissue is a normal part of healing, but excess can be a problem. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Smoking After Rhinoplasty

+1

Every rhinoplasty surgery creates scar tissue underneath the skin and on top of the cartilages. This is a normal reaction to the trauma of surgery and the raising of skin flaps. There is no known evidence that smoking causes more scar tissue after surgery. Smoking, however, can interfere with healing and is never a wise decision in the early time period after surgery when extensive healing is ongoing. Fortunately the nose is very well vascularized but why take such risks when you have invested much in your rhinoplasty surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Sub Q Scarring Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Subcutaneous scarring (Sub Q) following rhinoplasty is a normal occurrence.  There is a very small space between the skin and underlying bone and cartilage that heals by the formation of collagen (scar tissue). I do not think that smoking after surgery creates more scar tissue, however, it does interfere with the blood supply and healing.  Contour changes following rhinoplasty will gradually occur over 6-12 months as the scar tissue matures and softens.  You should see a continued improvement during this time, so try to be patient. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon